Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remote Desktop Connection

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 sreez

sreez

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 26 September 2008 - 04:59 PM

Hi Guys,

I have XP professional version 2002 SP3. Recently I made the logon screens following the tutorial which was given here.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/xp-network-log-on-for-home-users/

I presume that this created the problem in remote desktop connection which says

The client could not establish a connection to the remote computer.

The most likely causes for this error are:
1) Remote connections might not be enabled at the remote computer.
2) The maximum number of connections was exceeded at the remote computer.
3) A network error occurred while establishing the connection.

Apart from this other serious issue is my screen goes blank with blue screen and all programs running but none of them respond so I had manually restart the laptop again .So I am bit worried now. :thumbsup:

Coming to the remote desktop connection I did some search on Google and got this link , but I couldnt find the exact hot fix for it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321624
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946480/

So can you guys put some light on it.Especially my laptop goes blank all of sudden.

Thanks in advance.

LIFE is so simple, if you know the reason of your existence at certain place. Treat every step as first one and trust god, friends, relatives and everyone.

Its a simple magic trick given to me by one friend also and I am at this stage  :love4u:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 26 September 2008 - 10:07 PM

On XP only one person/logon can be on the machine at one time. You cannot have 1 user logged in, and try to login again it will kick the other person off.

#3 sreez

sreez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2008 - 06:44 AM

Hi mate,

Thanks for reply.

Correct me if I am wrong.
On my personal laptop at home I made the windows login screen as it would be good in using a logon screens and messages when we press ctrl+alt+del. Now when I trying to use "remote desktop connection" to connect to my office network I am getting the error message which I told before.

Ok if that is situation.So can I go back to normal logging without logon or something and Can I use the remote desktop connection ?

But in my office I have same XPSP3 and I can connect to remote locations using "remote desktop connection" .

Cheers.

LIFE is so simple, if you know the reason of your existence at certain place. Treat every step as first one and trust god, friends, relatives and everyone.

Its a simple magic trick given to me by one friend also and I am at this stage  :love4u:

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2008 - 06:50 AM

Are you always logged in to your work machine, and if you are then you will not be able to use Remote Connection. I would suggest using VPN.

#5 sreez

sreez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2008 - 01:18 PM

I am sorry If I am confusing you.

I am telling that my home laptop which I created logon screens has this problem that I cant connect to my office network using "remote desktop connection"

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2008 - 01:26 PM

I am sorry If I am confusing you.

I am telling that my home laptop which I created logon screens has this problem that I cant connect to my office network using "remote desktop connection"

When I think of home laptop I think of you using a lap top at home, and trying to access your office network in another building completely separated from your home.

#7 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2008 - 01:28 PM

Hi there,

From what ive read you have recently changed the log on screen on your Home laptop to the Ctrl Alt Delete method.
Now when you try and connect to your Work PC your are having the issues described in your original post?

(please do correct me if im wrong)

Cryptodan: When connecting to a system via remote desktop, if someone is logged on then it'll just log them off and the system will sit at the log-in screen, so it doesn't matter if your logged onto the machine or not.

Sreez: from the MS Support Article 321624 there is a link at the top of the page which i believe will take you to the hotfix, i cant download it to my PC because it wont do anything due to me not having the same problem.

Heres the Link

Hope this will help, if not it might help other people understand the problem itself

E-Mu
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#8 sreez

sreez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2008 - 06:46 PM

thanks for the link mate.

but mine is XP sp3, does that help.

it says don't install if not correct version

cheers

#9 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2008 - 01:34 PM

thanks for the link mate.

but mine is XP sp3, does that help.

it says don't install if not correct version

cheers

Hi, sorry the delay in replying.

It shows the hotfix was first release with SP1, this doesn't mean that you have to be using SP1 now.

Windows will create a restore point before it changes anything so if you do have any problems you would be able to restore back to post change.

E-Mu
~ E-Mu ~

#10 sreez

sreez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2008 - 07:37 PM

Hi mate,

You replied that was nice of you.

Ok I installed the hot-fix but now as I was expecting the problem raised saying "setup has detected that the service pack version of the system installed is newer than the update you are applying to it. you can install this update with no service packs installed"

So any idea about this

Cheers again

#11 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2008 - 11:13 AM

Personally i'd try the update, you can always roll back your system if it causes any issues, but thats what im like, i try things and if it doesnt work i try something else.

It's down to yourself really, was there a particular reason you wanted the "ctrl, alt, delete" login ?
Could you go back to the normal welcome screen?
Try going back and see if you still get an error, it maybe that system files/settings have changed and that you get the error regardless of login screen.

E-Mu
~ E-Mu ~

#12 sreez

sreez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2008 - 05:36 PM

Hi mate,

Yes I went back to the normal screen and the remote desktop works fine now with the ctrl+alt+del.

But I left the the interactive logon message.Thats good at least

Thanks for your help.

#13 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2008 - 12:32 PM

Not a problem.

E-Mu
~ E-Mu ~