Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Networking W/ Ps3 And Pc

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ComputerLuv

ComputerLuv

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 26 September 2008 - 04:32 PM

Hi you guys! I'm new here and I wanted to know how would I setup a network between my PS3 and my PC. The only things that I have other than the console and the PC is the DSL modem. What I want to do is to have both devices connected to the internet. The problem with that is they will be in different rooms. I think I have an idea of how to do it, but I am unsure. I think I am supposed to have a router and wireless ethernet bridge (whatever that is). Can you please help me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 27 September 2008 - 02:02 PM

To have an internet connection shared between your PC and PS3 you will have to set-up a networking using a router, take a look at this tutorial for a bit more information.

Basically you will need;
  • A Router
  • 2x Ethernet Cables
To share the connection i'd just get a basic 4port router and a couple of ethernet cables to run from the router to your PC/PS3.

E-Mu
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#3 ComputerLuv

ComputerLuv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2008 - 07:25 PM

thank u I really am having an issue with the PS3 being in a totally different room than the modem.

#4 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2008 - 12:33 PM

What type of problems are you having or do you jst mean with running the wires from one room to the other?

E-Mu
~ E-Mu ~

#5 ComputerLuv

ComputerLuv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2008 - 03:10 PM

I will really like to know what is the best way to hook the PS3 up to the internet. I really don't want to have 50 ft of Ethernet cable going down the hallway though.

#6 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2008 - 11:56 AM

I will really like to know what is the best way to hook the PS3 up to the internet. I really don't want to have 50 ft of Ethernet cable going down the hallway though.

Wi-Fi networking is built-in on the 40, 60 and 80 GB models.
You will need a wireless router (something like Linksys are good, but any will do aslong as it supports 802.11 b/g)

To connect your PS3 to the router its a case of going to network settings on the PS3 menu and then have it "scan" for available networks. If you router is close enough, the PS3 will pick it up. You then just to follow the on screen instructions.

E-Mu
~ E-Mu ~

#7 ComputerLuv

ComputerLuv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2008 - 03:14 PM

thanks for the info....I have the launch version of the PS3 the 20GB.

#8 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2008 - 04:15 PM

As i was typing the last post i knew you were going to say you had the 20gb version. :thumbsup:

Ok,

1. You can try a Wireless-G Game Adapter - this connects to your PS3 via ethernet cable, then will connect to a wireless network
Take a look Here and Here, for a couple of different adaptors.

2. You can try using Homeplugs - these allow you to connect a router/modem to your home power socket via a Homeplug Adaptor, then at another socket outlet in your home, using another adatopr you can connect your PS3 (or computer/laptop/xbox etc)
Take a look Here and Here for a bit more information.

Hope this helps a bit more :flowers:

E-Mu
~ E-Mu ~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users