Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Mce (media Center Edition) Updates

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 xpanianiax

xpanianiax

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 26 September 2008 - 01:32 PM

Hello All:

I will be wiping my hard drive today for the first time thanks to some nasty viruses. I have Windows XP MCE (not really sure what edition 2002/2005?).

The people that were helping me in the virus forum said that I had to download Service Pack 3. I understand that, no problem. However, I went on the Microsoft Updates website for that particular OS and there are 129 of these things. Do I have to download and install all of them?

How exactly do the updates work? When they roll out a Service Pack 4, for example, do they roll all of the components from Service Packs 1 - 3 into that or do they assume that you already have those downloaded.

Thanks for all your help in advance!

Ania

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 26 September 2008 - 01:47 PM

I suggest just starting with the one that offers SP3. That should severely reduce the number of other updates that you have do to do individually.

There is much information about Windows Update, how it works, critical updates, etc...available by using Google.

Before you attempt to install SP3, I suggest that you take a look at the items discussed at the topic, Windows XP SP3 Information...available at the 1st page of the XP Forum.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/146857/windows-xp-service-pack-3-sp3-information/

FWIW: You do need SP1 installed in order to install SP3. You do not have to have SP2 installed, since it is included as part of SP3. http://www.winsupersite.com/faq/xp_sp3.asp See 1st sentence of answer to 2d question.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 26 September 2008 - 01:52 PM.

#3 Box In A Bag

Box In A Bag

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 26 September 2008 - 01:48 PM

It is best to allow windows to install all of the updates.

You do not need service packs 1, and 2, to get SP3, it is its own update.
Posted Image
Intel Core2Duo E8400 wolfdale 3.0GHz OC'd to 3.8GHz 38C/39C maximum,

---Call 9-1-1 for emergencies.... or just post at Bleeping Computer---
------------Your friendly CVCOG 9-1-1 Network Administrator-----------

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 26 September 2008 - 10:21 PM

Windows XP SP3 Full which includes all patches and updates since WIndows XP came out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users