Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Would This Be Spam?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 26 September 2008 - 11:44 AM

I get these forwards by email.

These people pass on these emails and they dont take off all the other emails it was sent to.

If I sent all the people a email asking them to help me with something like non-commercial based would it be spam or illegal?

Like I want people to subscribe and help me watch my videos. I need people to watch them so I can get views.

I know how fast emails can be passed around.

I would love to ask them to send this on to 10 of their friends and see how many views I could get.

I just dont want to go to jail ha ha.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 26 September 2008 - 12:54 PM

I don't think you would go to jail for this, CGM, but you might find yourself with far fewer friends, and little in the way of increased traffic to show for it. And you might very well end up, as would the people forwarding your original E-mail, on everyone's ignore list.
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 26 September 2008 - 02:08 PM

John's right. It's more viral content than spam. Certainly not illegal.

Making it non-commercial certainly tips the balance towards you ethically.
Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 26 September 2008 - 09:07 PM

Would This Be Spam?

According to the definition of spam by Webopedia.

Electronic junk mail or junk newsgroup postings. Some people define spam even more generally as any unsolicited e-mail.

Yes it's spam.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users