Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore Goes Bugger-up

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Hajduk

Hajduk

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 26 September 2008 - 06:20 AM

XP Professional, HP Pavilion 8860. Two days ago I used Autorun to remove from the start menu several download programs that had inserted themselves there. I did *not* do a thing to any file from Microsoft, or anything I did not recognize as something I had downloaded and sometimes use but which did not need to run at startup. However, when next I rebooted, I found that clicking on "Start" produced a much reduced display. So far I have been able to find, by a bit of poking around, everything I need, but I would rather have the old, fuller display back and not have to waste time searching.

So I tried to run System Restore, and found that, for the first on this computer or with this OS, it didn't work. It went through the whole procedure, but after rebooting it displayed the message "Restoration incomplete. Your computer cannot be restored to [date]. No changes have been made to your computer. To choose another restore point, restart System Restore."

No matter what restore point I choose, the result is the same. The restore points, by the way, were generated automatically by sysrestore and not manually by me.

I went through the entire procedure set forth in MS article 310560, up to & including running System Restore in Safe Mode, and the result is the same.

I then ran sysrestoreenable.reg (kelys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm), which I had found recommended in this forum. The result of that was that the System Restore procedure now does not get beyond the "Confirm Restore Point Selection" box; I click on "Next," but nothing happens, except that I get a popup box: "StartupMonitor Warning: The Program *Restore has registered the executable c:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui-exe i to run at system startup. Do you wish to allow this change?"

I suppose I can do a repair install, following http://bertk.mvps.org/html/reinstall.html; but I would prefer if possible to use the existing restore points. Is there any way other than reinstalling to restore functionality?

Hajduk

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 26 September 2008 - 06:03 PM

See if one of these helps:
How to troubleshoot the System Restore tool in Windows XP
Troubleshoot System Restore "Restore Point Failures" in Windows XP
Troubleshooting Missing Restore Points
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 perr

perr

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 26 September 2008 - 06:24 PM

Help here to run system restore from recovery console.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=s...mp;aq=f&oq=

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 26 September 2008 - 07:12 PM

When you used Autoruns, did you just uncheck the items or did you actually delete them? If you only unchecked them, go back in and re-check them.

If not, since this is a display issue, I'd suggest updating your video drivers.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users