Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Registry

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 02 August 2004 - 05:26 PM

How do I create a backup of my registry and a restore point? I have Windows ME.

Edited by scarlett, 02 August 2004 - 05:27 PM.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 August 2004 - 05:43 PM

click start...click run...type in regedit..go to file and click export and click where you want your registry to go!

#3 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2004 - 01:25 PM

Thanks! (1).. Is there a best choice for the backup to be exported to ? ...(2) .. Say something does happen after removal, how does one get to the backup? What I mean is with the regestery screwed up. Does the computer run ? Would the backup run from a desktop shortcut ? { O.S. -Windows ME } Thanks again.

Edited by scarlett, 17 August 2004 - 01:36 PM.

Posted Image

#4 aarhus2004

aarhus2004

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2004 - 01:32 PM

Hi,

I keep mine in Docs until I am sure I made no errors. An error will not stop the entire system from working - just whatever it was you were fixing. I don't know where the registry entries for My Docs are but I think I can assume you are not trying to fix it!

A Restore point? Go to it and choose Create a Restore Point and then click Next. Name it what you wish.

HTL. :thumbsup:
Ben.

Uses Windows Millennium and loves it.

#5 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 17 August 2004 - 01:38 PM

"A Restore point? Go to it and choose Create a Restore Point and then click Next. Name it what you wish" ......Could u explain this a little clearer please? .. Plus Im not fixing anything, I want to remove keys from Incredimail and Quicktime. Oh, and Thanks!

Edited by scarlett, 17 August 2004 - 01:51 PM.

Posted Image

#6 aarhus2004

aarhus2004

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2004 - 01:48 PM

Sorry scarlett,

You want to creat a Restore Point yourself.

Open System Restore.

Select 'Create a restore point'.

Click 'Next'.

You will the be offered the naming of it.

Click 'Next'.

A restore point will be made and you be 'told' this has been done.

Close System Restore.

How is that?

And by the way you can choose to save your Reg back-up to your desktop. As far as I know anything can be saved to the desktop and moved easily if you choose.

Edited by aarhus2004, 17 August 2004 - 01:50 PM.

Ben.

Uses Windows Millennium and loves it.

#7 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 17 August 2004 - 01:56 PM

Cool thanks a bunch! That is kinda what I thought. Ive done a system restore before, but never have created a restore point. You have been a big help!
Posted Image

#8 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 August 2004 - 02:03 PM

Also an easier way scarlett is to open regedit(if you just want to back up registry and export to a file anyhwere on your pc!

#9 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2004 - 02:14 PM

Thanks brunt! Im getting ready to do it now. Now that I know excactly what to do. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#10 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2004 - 03:27 PM

O.K. I created the restore point, & backed up the registery. Then I deleted all Incredimail & Quicktime Keys. When can I be sure that I no longer need Reg. backup ? 'Cause Id like to remove that too. Im running on very little memory and Im not able to get more at this time. O.S. > Windows ME
Posted Image

#11 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 August 2004 - 09:45 PM

Reboot a couple times do what you normally do if all is well delete

#12 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2004 - 01:09 AM

Say something does happen after removal, how does one get to the backup? What I mean is with the regestery screwed up.

Thats a great question. What's an easy way to put it back to the way it was, for instance before you deleted a key or changed it's value? Answer that question and a complete system restore would not be necessary, I'd think.

I'll check into that line of thinking and would also appreciate some other's thoughts about it. :thumbsup:

(Knowing the file is in My Docs, I'd open it...navigate to the area I edited in the actual registry, highlight the previous value, copy, and go back to the registry and paste in the value. Multiple changes could be handled that way, up to a point, I'd think. Too many, and I guess I'd system restore...if I had it enabled in the first place. System restore is kinda of resource hawg, and I haven't always got it enabled, so I'd like to know of a reliable technique for those occasions I'm caught without my system restore points)

Edited by phawgg, 18 August 2004 - 01:18 AM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#13 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 August 2004 - 07:07 AM

All you would have to do is double click the .reg file backup you made

#14 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2004 - 08:58 AM

First off, everything is working just fine ! Thanks ! So Im removing backup. ... Secondly when doubleclicked, the .reg file backup has an option of > Merge. Ive only noticed this recently one other time. Which also was a backup file > Winshampoo. So what does merge do ? Does it replace , restore the file to the original location ? That would be to cool and easy. > O.S. Windows Me Hmmm...
Posted Image

#15 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 August 2004 - 09:09 AM

Yes scarlett it would move the backup reg file right back to where it was and overwrtie anything in the reg file!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users