Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Firewall?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sherrylynne

sherrylynne

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 25 September 2008 - 10:52 PM

I was reading(I know, scary thought) that when you download a personal firewall, you need to shut down the Windows firewall, if using Windows XP. One problem-how? And is it necessary to do this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Box In A Bag

Box In A Bag

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2008 - 11:50 PM

Hello again, well you see, most personal firewalls will shut off the windows firewall by themselves when installing them.

If not then this is what you do:

Windows XP:
1.) Click on Start than control panel
2.) Go to Windows Firewall, in the general tab select "Off (not recommended)
3.) "OK" your way out
4.) In control panel go to security center
5.) Click on the firewall section to drop it down if it is not, and click on recommendations.
6.) Check the box that says "I have a firewall solution that I will monitor myself"
7.) Click OK, the firewall should be changed to "Not monitored"
8.) Close everything out.

Windows Vista:

If you have the default category view
1.) Click on the start button, than click on the control panel.
2.) Click on Security Center, than Windows Firewall
continue to 3.)

If you have the class view
1.) Click on the start button, than click on the control panel.
2.) Click on Windows Firewall
continue to 3.)

3.) Click "turn windows firewall off"
4.) In the box "User Account Control" click continue. This will open Windows Firewall Settings.
5.) Under the General tab select "Off (not recommended)".
6.) "OK" your way out.

If you are considering a personal firewall I would like to suggest COMODO, it is free and amazing. ZoneAlarm is also good but it has some bad reviews and alot of people have chosen COMODO over ZoneAlarm, my personal opinion is COMODO, which I just switched to a month or so ago.

A couple interesting things to know:

1st) If you are connected directly to the internet (Computer directly to modem) than you want to make sure you always have a firewall on! If you are connected through a routed system (Modem to a router to your computer), most routers have a built in firewall that works GREAT and may be all you need but it is highly recommended to be using a second firewall on your computer.

2nd) Windows Firewall is built for the operating system, which means it was just a firewall designed to protect windows from outside activity. This means that Windows Firewall will only block unwanted INCOMING traffic.

Why is that bad?

Well, if you were to accidentally allow a download to complete on your machine, and that download happened to be malicious and contain a trojan, it can cause unwanted OUTGOING traffic, to send information back to "home base". What a personal firewall (COMODO, ZoneAlarm, Online Armor, etc.) does, is it can send you a popup message telling you that a specific service is trying to connect itself to a outside host, if you did not run this service than you can choose to block it.

Keep in mind most third party firewalls will disable the windows firewall automatically during installation.

I suggest that you get a personal firewall even if you are on a routed network, this will help with blocking incoming and outgoing traffic that is not wanted and keeps logs and many other useful tools.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Edited by Box In A Bag, 26 September 2008 - 12:03 AM.

Posted Image
Intel Core2Duo E8400 wolfdale 3.0GHz OC'd to 3.8GHz 38C/39C maximum,

---Call 9-1-1 for emergencies.... or just post at Bleeping Computer---
------------Your friendly CVCOG 9-1-1 Network Administrator-----------

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 25 September 2008 - 11:52 PM

First of all, you don't need to disable Windows firewall when downloading another one.
But it will need to be turned off when you INSTALL the firewall program.
Some firewalls will turn off Windows firewall during the installation process.
To shut down Windows firewall, Start Menu/Control Panel.
Windows Firewall/General Tab.

No you should not run 2 firewalls at the same time. They may conflict with each other, can cause issues with programs not working correctly, and may decrease the effectiveness of the firewall.

#4 sherrylynne

sherrylynne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2008 - 05:36 PM

Thanks, I appreciate the help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users