Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Freezing, Not Posting, Slow, Winxp Homef Sp2

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ellypho

Ellypho

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 25 September 2008 - 10:50 PM

Hello world!
I am having trouble with my computer.
When i boot up fit will sometimes not be able to post. Or if it post's It will take a while and hangup while booting windows. It seems fto be posting all the time recently so im happy. However it is still frzing in saffe mode and with regular more and i have done a repair and updated all my drivers. The HDD has ben tested and an Ubuntu liveCD will run fine. Upon freezing i will receive a long beep indicating a connection error. It might be a SATA cable issue acording to my buddy Richard.
Thanks for all the help!
Ellypho
CompTIA A+ certified

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 26 September 2008 - 08:52 AM

Well...did you check all cables, connections?

Any error messages of any sort?

Run a diagnostic on your hard drive?

http://www.duxcw.com/faq/hd/diag.htm

Any memory errors?

Louis

#3 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2008 - 05:41 PM

Well this may be caused for several reasons.

1. run the hard drive diagnostic utility mentioned by hamluis.

2. If the hard drive seems fine, the next simplest thing to do is to check the ram. If you download memtest86 and burn the iso file to a disc, it can tell you if your ram has any errors. http://memtest86.com/ . Have your computer boot off the disc, and it should automatically run. Let it run for a few hours, preferably overnight, and it will show you if it finds any errors.

3. A system locking up can be a sign of a failing motherboard. I know this may seem a little drastic, but I've seen it happen before, especially in some older Dell computers. A good way to check is to see if some of the capacitors are bulging on the motherboard. Here is an excellent report about it on wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague . It will show you images of bad capacitors. Take a look around inside your computer and see if some of them are really bulging on top, or even leaking electrolytes.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#4 Ellypho

Ellypho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2008 - 05:29 PM

Well here is an odd one for you guys.

The mobo was warped because of the case...
It gave me an excuse to ask my mom for a new one and get an acrylic perspex case :thumbsup:
CompTIA A+ certified

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users