Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Got A Good Pc, Thinking Of Upgradeing... Is It Worth It

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 EscapeV

EscapeV

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 25 September 2008 - 10:12 PM

ok to the heart of it.
i have an HP a1310n computer thats set up as it came from the factory. thing is i would like to use it to play online videogames of the mmorp genre. one game in particular it used to play without much lag but now has taken lag to a whole new level for me.
now the processor is an AMD Athalon 64 3700+ 1.77 GHz according to system. it has 960MB of ram plus 64MB going to the onboard video.......... which obviously sucks, and a 200 GB hd.
now the motherboard will support 4GB of ram if i remove the two 512MB DDRs and replace with two 1GB DDRs.
what im thinking of doing is putting more ram in.......... dont know how much yet but at least another gigs worth, and a video card because although there is not an AGP there IS a PCIe x16 i belive empty and waiting. and of course i would like a faster processor.
my problem is that its a Socket 939 Motherboard that since been made obsolete by the new socket AMD is useing now.

so what do you guys think is the best thing...... new CPU, More RAM, VIDEO CARD or say screw it all and give it to the wife for her word processing and buy a new comp?
OMG the processor now appears to be a 2.19GHZ................. wow
any opinions would be appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2008 - 11:44 PM

You're correct in saying that the Socket 939 processor is obsolete, however there are many things you can do to make your computer better. Installing more RAM would always add a benefit, the more the better especially with Vista. A video card would also help slightly, unless you play games then it is strongly suggested you install one. Your PC still has some life left in it.

3939.png

#3 EscapeV

EscapeV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2008 - 07:56 AM

Thanks for the imput. I do play games so I do think that a video card is gonna be necessary if the comp is gonna meet my needs. Thats my quandry....... do i spend the money for said video card to free up as much system memory as I can, then add ram or should i try to find a better cpu first. If i looked for the cpu im not sure what the best one i could find for the comp would be that the stock motherboard would support.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2008 - 03:21 PM

You're probably not going to be able to find a processor at Newegg for a 939 motherboard, there is an AMD Opteron processor at Tigerdirect. Remember, you can only get a processor with a socket that matches your motherboard. You should spend money on more RAM followed by a video card.

3939.png

#5 EscapeV

EscapeV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2008 - 02:34 PM

Thanks for the advice. I knew that the processor would be the hardest part of the upgrade if it was even neccessary. i had come to the conclusion that the first step should be the video card and if that helped enough then ram would be the second thing i did.

i guess ill start looking for PCIe video card with 512 to 1 gig's worth of memory. not sure which brand beyond that.... any recomendations?

and is there any need to go beyond 2 or 3 GB of ram when you plan on keeping XP on the computer?

Thanks for all the help!

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 28 September 2008 - 03:23 PM

Good video card brands:
EVGA
BFG
XFX
MSI

Good RAM brands:
Crucial
Kingston
Corsair
A-Data
G.Skill
GeIL
Mushkin
OCZ
Patriot

If using a 32 bit Operating System (XP Home, or 32 bit Vista), there's no need to use more than 3 GB, since the OS will not recognize more than 3.25 - 3.5GB.
Anything more, is a waste of money.

I'd get as much RAM as I could afford.
That's going to make the biggest difference.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2008 - 03:27 PM

RAM will add more to the performance right now than the video card, especially on programs such as Windows, that don't tax the video card. A good gaming PC depends on the CPU, RAM, and GPU equally. Memory is cheap these days, get as much as you can. As for the video card, you need to choose whether you want an ATI or Nvidia card. Then you need to choose what kind of card you want or need. For individual brands, Nvidia: EVGA, XFX, and ASUS for ATI: ASUS, Diamond, and Sapphire.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users