Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Running Extremely Slow Even After Reformatting And Restoreing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 EscapeV

EscapeV

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 25 September 2008 - 10:00 PM

ok here goes, when i got this comp it ran great no problems and would pullup web pages in seconds. it started refuseing to pull up some web pages alltogether. i assumed since it was a difffferent cable high speed that was the culprit. i now have the fastest high speed cable internet that brighthouse offers........... computer still takes 30 seconds to pull up a web page sometimes.
i assumed virus at this point, got a new D-link gameing router that makes the rest of the computers in the house rock and roll. snow white helped me get rid of a bunch of junk and the web pages were pulling up after about 10 seconds so thought that was ok.
got on the slower computer here and it pulled the pages up instantly. so i decided that i would just completely reformat the computer and that would end all this foolishness. so i reformated and restored the comp to factory settings. when i do that it gets better for a few days then its back to the same old waiting for pages to pop up. it never gets back to how it was before.
my ram shows up at almost a gig like 960mb versus the 1 gig that should be there (i belive that 64mb is goind toward onboard videocard). the comp is reading everything right as far as i can tell. i have like 93% free space on the HD after the reformat.
sometimes the page will load up fine and then LOCK Up and refuse to respond. some pages will always be not responding. the comp will not download most stuff, such as windows updates.
the comp is a HP a1310n with a 1.77GHz AMD Athalon 64 processor 3700+ and i belive its got a 200GB HD
any ideas guys?

ok while posting elsewhere for possible upgrades i looked back at the SYSTEM tab and it now says i have a 2.19GHz processor......?

Edited by EscapeV, 25 September 2008 - 10:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 26 September 2008 - 08:47 AM

You do any maintenance on this computer?

Ever run chkdsk? Ever run the defrag utility? Ever dumped your cache?

http://safari.ibmpressbooks.com/0735618968/ch12lev1sec12

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/s...mproveperf.mspx

Chkdsk Explained, Understanding What Chkdsk Does - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314835/EN-US/

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q315265 Follow the listed steps for running from My Computer/Explorer and put check marks in both options when presented.

Louis

#3 EscapeV

EscapeV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2008 - 07:48 AM

Ever run chkdsk? Ever run the defrag utility? Ever dumped your cache?

the computer has run chkdsk before but i didnt select it, it found some sort of error on shutdown and i let it scan i think. i defrag all the time, it will anaylize and say i dont need to but that dosent stop me. never dumped my cache that im aware of. dont know how lol.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 27 September 2008 - 10:15 AM

LOL, no problem :thumbsup:.

Clear Your IE Cache (Windows) - http://webdesign.about.com/cs/internetexpl...learcacheie.htm

I also suggest that you run chkdsk, following these directions:

a. Start/Run...type chkdsk /r (exactly as shown, with space between k and /). Hit OK or Enter.

b. Black screen with white print will appear. Read the content, type Y, hit Enter.

c. Reboot the system. Chkdsk will run after reboot, before desktop loads. Allow it to run to completion, it will reboot to XP desktop when it is done.

Read through the links I posted in the first post I made...they are not meant to be all-inclusive but they will help to get you on the right track for doing your best to maintain your system.

Louis

#5 EscapeV

EscapeV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2008 - 02:39 PM

OK .......... the :thumbsup: just came on....... YES I do defrag regularly, and i clear out the cache pretty regularly, i dont allow cookies and the history is set at 0 days. when i clear them i clear them all. ran chkdisk and it showed up all good.
thanks for all the help tho

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 29 September 2008 - 05:58 AM

I would try using http://freewarewiki.com/DialaFix to fix windows update then perform an update.

The event viewer may give some more information.

1. Click Start select run
2. Type eventvwr.exe
3. Press enter
4. Search through the groups for errors and warnings.
5. Double click on each error and or warning.
6. Locate the copy to clipboard button, Posted Image (under the two arrows)
7. Let us know what you find. (paste the results)

Some devices may not be working correctly, check the Device Manager.

1. Click Start then run
2. Type devmgmt.msc and press enter
3. Look through the list for yellow or red marks next to the entries.
4. Let us know what you find.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users