Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Unresponsive When Internet In Use

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tropico

tropico

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 25 September 2008 - 09:09 PM

I am running Windows Vista Home Basic with Service Pack 1. A few days ago my computer started to become really unresponsive to the point where it is almost unusable whenever I am doing something that involves uploading or downloading things. The task manager shows a big spike in cpu usage when I am using the internet and the fans spin up really loud, but it shows that almost 1 GB of RAM is unused so I don't think that is the issue. For example when I am watching a video on Youtube, the video will be choppy until the entire video is cached on my computer. Even just downloading an attachment from my email causes the mouse to stop moving fluidly and jump around the screen and it takes a long time to switch between screens. However whenever the download is finished, the problem disappears. It does not appear to be an issue with the browser because it occurs regardless of whether I am in Firefox, Chrome, or Internet Explorer. I have scanned my computer with Spyware Doctor, ZoneAlarm antivirus and antispyware (which is also my firewall), and Avert Stinger, with the most up to date definitions and all have come up clean. The only change I have made recently is installing SafeConnect, but I can't tell if that is the problem because they don't let you on the internet if it isn't installed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 26 September 2008 - 10:36 AM

Click on the Processes tab in Task Manager and see what's hogging the CPU.
Prrocess Explorer might give you a little more info:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb896653.aspx

they don't let you on the internet if it isn't installed.

I assume this is at school?

Edited by garmanma, 26 September 2008 - 10:37 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 tropico

tropico
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2008 - 03:39 PM

This thing called "Deferred Procedure Calls" uses around 40-60% of my CPU whenever I am on Youtube or downloading something. And yes SafeConnect is required because it's a school network.

#4 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2008 - 04:07 PM

This could be a driver issue. Are all your drivers up to date? (sound and video)

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#5 tropico

tropico
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2008 - 09:26 PM

I updated the video drivers and it stops the problem from happening for a few hours, but after a while the problem happens again, although it's not quite as severe now.

#6 lemmegetatthat

lemmegetatthat

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 30 September 2008 - 11:06 PM

I am experiencing the same problems with my HP DV2815nr 2.0ghz AMD Turion w/ 3gb ram. Both firefox and Explorer become slower and slower after a while until the point where i cant listen to an .mp3 and load this website at the same time. the song will become choppy, the mouse will lag, same symptoms with youtube, the video must fully load to be playable

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users