Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Failed Installs on Windows Update

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 28 April 2005 - 05:49 AM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/Win...ing-t16243.html

I've been haveing similar problems to what this person is experiencing in this forum. However not only does my Automatic Windows Updates not work, neither does there webiste. I click on Custom (and express doesn't wor either), and select all updates and goto download (it doesn't dl them, its like they've already been dled). And once it starts to install them it says it Fails. I need to install these updates because, my drivers for my mouse, monitor and mouse-pad need to be updated. Along with other Critical Updates.

I have done what Grinler told the other person to do, and here is my log. (I've gone through my HiJackThis log, and nothing comes up)

Files found with this application may be legitimate.
Only remove files that you know are malware related.
Checking the C:\WINDOWS folder
C:\WINDOWS\choice.exe: UPX!
C:\WINDOWS\Unwash5.exe: UPX!

Checking the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 folder
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll: .aspack

Checking all directories under the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\drivers folder
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Drivers\avg7core.sys: error finding UPX! header
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Drivers\avg7core.sys: =FSG!u$h
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Drivers\avg7core.sys: UPX!

Checking the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\programs\Startup\ folder

Checking the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data folder

Checking the C:\Documents and Settings\yanowhiz\Start Menu\programs\Startup\ folder

Checking the C:\Documents and Settings\yanowhiz\Application Data folder

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 windowsxp550

windowsxp550

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2005 - 06:54 AM

Yanowhiz,

Did you read further down...

I had a response in that message that will help you ..Try reinstalling Windows Update...Instructions on how to do that are listed in that message....
Free PC Help: At FixMyXP.com, our Speciality is Windows XP.
Got An XP Problem or Question? Get expert help, all free Check it out!
Click Here to go to FixMyXP's Windows XP Help Forum

#3 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2005 - 03:03 PM

I did that thing with the sfc /scannow and it took a while, never said anything. Just closed out when done.

And it still doesn't work.... I'm getting tick, I'm almost ready to wipe my hard drive.

#4 windowsxp550

windowsxp550

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2005 - 03:27 PM

Yanowhiz,

There are 4 files that you need for Windows Update to work are:

wuauclt.exe, wuaucpl.cpl.manifest, wuaueng.dll, wuauserv.dll

Make sure that those are on your computer (do a search)

Also, make sure that Automatic Updates is enabled (right click on My Computer an go to Properties, then Windows Update...make sure it is enabled)

Then you have to go and make sure that the following 3 services are all Running and Set to Automatic: Windows Update, BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service) & Event Viewer.

To get to services Click Start, then Run, then type:
services.msc

Then make sure those 3 services are enabled AND are set to AUTOMATIC.

#5 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2005 - 04:04 PM

Also I have all 8 of those files 4 in each folder.

When I went to services.msc in the run command i could not find "Event Viewer, nor Windows Update.

And yes Automatic Updates are enabled in the my computer properties.

Edited by yanowhiz, 28 April 2005 - 04:06 PM.

#6 Seth

Seth

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2005 - 04:11 PM

Yanowhiz,

There are 4 files that you need for Windows Update to work are:

wuauclt.exe, wuaucpl.cpl.manifest, wuaueng.dll, wuauserv.dll

Make sure that those are on your computer (do a search)

Also, make sure that Automatic Updates is enabled (right click on My Computer an go to Properties, then Windows Update...make sure it is enabled)

Then you have to go and make sure that the following 3 services are all Running and Set to Automatic: Windows Update, BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service) & Event Viewer.

To get to services Click Start, then Run, then type:
services.msc

Then make sure those 3 services are enabled AND are set to AUTOMATIC.

Come to think of it, i dont have those files and update dosnt worth me either, where can i download them and where do i install them?
Posted Image
We come into this world in birth, and we die and rot into the earth.

#7 windowsxp550

windowsxp550

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2005 - 04:26 PM

Actually I mis-spoke (mistyped) what they were....

The Services you Need are

BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service)
Automatic Updates
Error Reporting Service.

#8 windowsxp550

windowsxp550

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2005 - 04:47 PM

Try this....Copy and Paste this into Notepad and name the File whatever you want...but put a .bat at the end of it (so if you named the file Update, you would need to type update.bat ) Save to somewhere where you can find the file.

and simply Double Click on it.

sc config wuauserv start= auto
sc config BITS start= auto
sc config ERSvc start= auto
sc start wuauserv
sc start BITS
sc start ERSvc
start %SystemRoot%\system32\wupdmgr.exe

This is a batch program that I wrote...to Start the 3 needed services AND put them in Automatic mode.

I personally Hate leaving my Automatic Update Service Running, and it was getting annoying having to go into Services and enable and set to automatic the three needed services, every time I wanted to Update Windows...

Try that to see if it works

(PS. Even if this doesn't fix your specific problem, I would write this down for future reference....IMO, this is a rare gem...I was a bit reluctant to post this, only because this was one of my 101 Tips, that I have in my book... I wrote this batch program after first searching the internet for hours looking for someway to automate starting those 3 pesky services and putting them in automatic mode... Oh and I wrote another batch file that reverses the services when you are done with Windows Update...I can post that if anyone is interested...)

#9 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2005 - 07:26 PM

Microsoft Windows Journal Viewer (Windows XP)
Microsoft .NET Framework version 1.1
Update for Windows XP HighMAT Support in CD Writing Wizard (KB831240)
National Semiconductor - Networking - National Semiconductor Corp. DP83815/816 10/100 MacPhyter PCI Adapter
Cumulative Update for Outlook Express for Windows XP (KB887797)
ATI Technologies, Inc - Video - RADEON IGP 320M
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.0 Service Pack 3, English Version
Synaptics Incorporated - Input Devices - Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad

Unforunately this still doesn't work. Even that file doesn't work... :thumbsup:

#10 windowsxp550

windowsxp550

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2005 - 10:08 PM

Then you are missing some system files (or they are corrupt).

That file will work if your system files are there and not corrupt....

Knowing that files are missing or corrupt really would incline me to suggest that you do a repair install (since you say you tried the sfc /scannow) and run your AntiVir. (however not in that order...I would first do a complete scan with your Anti Vir then Repair)

#11 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2005 - 11:02 PM

I just did a reformat and still no luck. I reformatted my whole hard drive, and all my updates fail! Even before and after I installed Windows Service Pack 2.

I don't know what is up. I'm using the exact same disk I have always used since 2002. After I reformatted my hard drive first thing I did was install Spybot, Ad-Aware, AVG, SpySweeper, and SpyGuard. Updated and Ran thoroughly each one of them, and they each found nothing.

EDIT: When I woke up this morning I tried it again, for the heck of it, and it worked on installing the critical updates (those are the only ones I selected), however when I went to try it again to get the updates for the updates I just downloed and the other Windows and Driver updates (after restarting) it didn't work. (And remember this is after I reformatted my hard drive the other night).

Edited by yanowhiz, 29 April 2005 - 08:04 AM.

#12 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2005 - 10:36 PM

I was reading through some troubleshooting things on Microsoft.com and found something about uninstalling the "ActiveX controls" and reinstalling them. I don't know if this will work, since my problemdoies't seem to be related to the active x controls, however i'm willing to do anything since it still won't work on my computer after i re-formattd it... :thumbsup:

And it still doesn't work, wether or not I use that batch program.

#13 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2005 - 08:58 AM

Did you have this problem before installing SP2?

If not, Microsoft offers free support for any issue resulting from problems with SP2.

Microsoft Security Product Support Policy

Technical support is available from Microsoft Product Support
Services at 1-866-PC SAFETY (1-866-727-2338). There is no
charge for support calls associated with security updates.
International customers can get support from their local Microsoft
subsidiaries. Phone numbers for international support can be found
at: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

#14 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2005 - 02:30 PM

I called them up and they transfered me like 5 times. Finally I got a hold of this woman who sounded like she was from Asia (weird accent). I was on the phone for 1 hour and 20 minutes and she did not help at all. She made me do all this stuff... like goto the command prompt and load like all these files into the regsvr32 thing. And everything was in tact. Her final thought was to do a "console recovery" installation. Well I did that and at like 13minutes left I got an error about loading a DLL file or something. (in fact when I called up, I kinda lied, I just said it worked b4 SP2 and they helped! I'm shocked Windows provideds free help like this! Cause on there website they say that if you called a certain 800 number its 35$ per call...)

Anyways... I got bleeped and decided to upgrade my Windows XP Pro to Windows XP Pro (lol). I did a "upgrade" install. (For some weird reason when I purchased Full Installation Windows XP Pro 4 years ago from www.compusa.com the disc I received is a mix CD I got an option to do an Upgrade or Full Installation, and yes it is genuine.)

After doing that and installation; when prompted to create the a username, I used "weird" so it wouldn't overwrite my stuff, in my yanowhiz folder. And I'm really happy cause I didn't loose anything! :thumbsup:

And Yes I did get Windows Updates to work, in fact right now there are INSTALLING! :flowers:

Edited by yanowhiz, 08 May 2005 - 02:33 PM.

#15 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 08 May 2005 - 02:57 PM

Thats good news, yanowhiz. Those updates and the ability to get them is important.

And as for the previous advice, I think it was also good, probably easier to understand than Microsoft's help ...

(PS. Even if this doesn't fix your specific problem, I would write this down for future reference....IMO, this is a rare gem...I was a bit reluctant to post this, only because this was one of my 101 Tips, that I have in my book... I wrote this batch program after first searching the internet for hours looking for someway to automate starting those 3 pesky services and putting them in automatic mode... Oh and I wrote another batch file that reverses the services when you are done with Windows Update...I can post that if anyone is interested...)

I am interested in the reverse batch file, and thank you for posting the first one. We need all the help we can get running windows, because contrary to popular opinion, it does have a mind of it's own .... :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users