Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb 1/usb2

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 DG8

DG8

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 25 September 2008 - 04:07 PM

Good evening all - I want to buy an external CDRW/DVD to replace the drive which has departed to the great driver in the sky.

I looked at a site which asked me if I wanted a USB 1 or a USB 2? To be honest I have not got a clue can someone please guide me?

Many thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 25 September 2008 - 04:50 PM

USB1 is outdated, initial technology when USB devices were first introduced.

USB2 is what we all use today.

If you have a very old system (by computer calculations), then your onboard USB may just by USB1. If so, this can be overcome by buying a PCI card to provide USB2 capability, e.g., http://castle.pricewatch.com/s/search.asp?s=USB+2.0+PCI

Louis

#3 DG8

DG8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2008 - 04:03 AM

Good morning hamluis - thank you for your input. Is this why I sometimes [when putting new hardware in] get a message telling me I'm putting a high speed device into a wrong connection!

I looked at your site and all the appliances are similar priced - but I don't understand the terminology and I'm not sure what one would work on my laptop.

It is an advent 7017/windows XP/ SP2 can you advice please.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2008 - 09:19 AM

FWIW: All the cards I depicted were not for a laptop, but for desktops. No matter :thumbsup:.

http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/advent/laptop/7017.htm

If this is your laptop, you should already have USB 2.0 and not require a card to provide such.

I would try uninstalling the driver for the USB 2.0 and reinstalling.

Go to Device Manager (Start/Run..type devmgmt.msc, hit Enter).

At the bottom, there will be Universal Serial Bus Controllers. Click on the button to see the detail.

For each item there...I would double-click on each and uninstall the driver.

Then I would reboot the system and allow the drivers to reinstall.

Make sure you have your drivers CD before doing this.

Louis

#5 DG8

DG8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2008 - 09:56 AM

Not sure if I'm giving the right information. The original Advent 7017 CDRW/DVD drive has stopped functioning, it will not open any cd [programs or music etc] Because of my minor knowledge of computing I was advised to buy an external cdrw/dvd.

I have tried uninstalling the original driver/ rebooting and I get the message new drive detected but it still does not work. If I go to device manager it also claims all devices are working properly. So I now assume there is nothing else I can do apart from buying a new CDRW/CD.

Sorry if I'm just confusing you but I don't know how else to explain it.

Many thanks.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 26 September 2008 - 10:24 AM

Couldn't get it to work by deleting the upper/lower filter keys, huh.

Let's clear up a little confusion. You haven't purchased the external drive yet and you're wondering which one to get, am I correct?
As Louis said, your computer has a 2.0 connection so any drive should do. If you link us to the site that shows what you want to buy, we can double-check for you
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2008 - 11:00 AM

No problem, I think I understand.

I found your original post, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/167263/advent-7017-cddvd-failure-advice-needed/

There are replacement drives for those that are installed in laptops...perhaps we need to see if we can just find one for your laptop, obviating the perceived need for an external drive.

http://download.gericom.com/NOTEBOOK/Win98.../N251S_1_01.pdf

The above manual also states that you have a swappable drive bay...where you can insert another optical drive.

I looked at replacement drives...too expensive ($100-plus), so let's forget replacing.

OTOH, this USB 2.0/firewire drive...seems a much better deal for U.S. personnel. I post the link merely for purposes of comparison, http://3btech.net/exmeusb2013f1.html IMO, this is the sort of thing you should be looking for, since it will connect to either a USB port or a firewire port. Your laptop has both, according to specs/manual.

Strictly USB 2.0 external drives, examples: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....425%20-%20%2450

I think that's about all that I can suggest, at this point :thumbsup:.

Louis

#8 DG8

DG8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2008 - 11:49 AM

Good evening garmanma, nice for you to come by.

Yes you are right this post is really an extension of the problem you helped me with but as yet I have not bought a replacement external drive mainly because of the technology which I do not understand.

Hamluis has been attempting to help me and I'm sure will not mind if you also help.

All the best and take care

#9 DG8

DG8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2008 - 11:52 AM

Hamluis thank you very much for your time and effort to try and help me, I will have a look through the links you have provided and will let you know.

Blessings to all.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2008 - 02:11 PM

Easily done :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users