Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard Witchcraft ?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 polaris6

polaris6

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 25 September 2008 - 02:36 PM

I have a Dell laptop (D600), XP OS, plenty of RAM and HD space.

The problem is while I am typing, unpredicatably the cursor will jump to a position other than the next space to be filled with a character. Sometime, the message I typing will be sent without me striking 'send'.

I must be hitting some keys erroneously but I don't know which ones and/or how to avoid this maddening witchcraft by the keyboard.

This has never happened to me while typing on my desktop keyboard, but it has happened before on my earliers Dell laptop.

Any suggestions? Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 25 September 2008 - 04:35 PM

This may be due to your typing style, in that your fingers/hand accidentally brush over the touchpad while your typing. Try disabling the touchpad and see if the problem goes away.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 polaris6

polaris6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2008 - 04:53 PM

Thanks, I will try that.

However, if I try to brush the Touch Pad on purpose, I don't get the same response.

What 'touching' would cause the message to be sent?

#4 Box In A Bag

Box In A Bag

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 25 September 2008 - 09:09 PM

It is haunted.... close the laptop, put a ouija board on it, see what is says.... thats the only answer....

Or you can try disabling the touch pad, that may work :thumbsup:

It is very possible that the slightest tap when the cursor is over the send option can make it "click"

Edited by Box In A Bag, 25 September 2008 - 09:10 PM.

Posted Image
Intel Core2Duo E8400 wolfdale 3.0GHz OC'd to 3.8GHz 38C/39C maximum,

---Call 9-1-1 for emergencies.... or just post at Bleeping Computer---
------------Your friendly CVCOG 9-1-1 Network Administrator-----------

#5 polaris6

polaris6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2008 - 09:50 PM

I have 'disabled the touch pad' when the USB pointing device is present....That seems to work for now.

I also disabled the 'stick'.

Thanks

#6 Box In A Bag

Box In A Bag

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 25 September 2008 - 11:22 PM

OOOOOOOHHHHH you have the stick lol, that makes a difference. I ran into this problem with a customer before, the stick was causing his cursor to jump to the top right corner when the surrounding keys were hit, completely cleaning the keyboard did not fix this problem, it ended up being a hardware problem with the stick. You can try reinstalling the drivers for the touchpad and the stick, but I would bet if you just disabled the stick you would not have any problems then.
Posted Image
Intel Core2Duo E8400 wolfdale 3.0GHz OC'd to 3.8GHz 38C/39C maximum,

---Call 9-1-1 for emergencies.... or just post at Bleeping Computer---
------------Your friendly CVCOG 9-1-1 Network Administrator-----------

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users