Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nothing On Screen After Wipe Of Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CaroleAnne

CaroleAnne

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 25 September 2008 - 01:30 PM

Solved! Thanks

I have a computer Dell Optiplex 260 ATX profile which was working that was donated so booted UBD to wipe x3 the hard drive. No instructions of how to exit the program so I hit esc and then had to do a hard powerdown. On startup, the screen remained blank with no options to go into setup or boot order. The hard drive light does on and then off. Boot order is diskette, hard drive, cd drive. There is no way to get to setup or boot order, even though I have repeatedly pressed F12 or F2. The monitor worked fine before the wipe.

On restart, I inserted a bootable CD to install XP to create partitions and then XP. There were no beeps. Screen stays blank. No Dell splash screen with options to setup or boot order. The computer stays on but just sits there.

What can I try next?

Edited by CaroleAnne, 25 September 2008 - 10:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2008 - 03:35 PM

Reset CMOS and go from there.

Edited by dpunisher, 25 September 2008 - 03:36 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2008 - 05:51 PM

As dpunisher mentioned, you should reset your cmos. The easiest way to do this is to first turn off and unplug your computer. Next, open the side panel up. Look around a bit and you should find a round-thin battery. Take this out for a few minutes. Afterwards, put it back in, put your side panel back on, and plug the computer back in. Now try to power it on.

Hopefully this works out for you!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#4 CaroleAnne

CaroleAnne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2008 - 10:21 PM

Removing the battery and then replacing it worked just fine. It was my last ditch effort after I posted this request for information. Thanks so much for your replies, they were right on. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users