Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do you format Win2000 Pro?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 solero

solero

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 28 April 2005 - 04:31 AM

Hi, a friend recently got some annoying pop ups on his computer. Although this problem is being attended to by OT in the Hijack forum, I was wondering if it is possible to restore the computer to its original settings by formatting the hard drive.

There are a number of other genuine error messages that appear saying that AOLnySev.exe has caused a problem and when its time to turn off the computer exporer.exe does not respond and has to be shut down by the task manager I think.

I remember on my old laptop with a WinME OS I had a floppy that I inserted and it did everything for me. Is there somewhere or something I can do to make it that simple?

Thanks for any advice you can give,

By the way, I also have a WinXP disk that is for my computer, is it possible to install XP on this computer, is it a straightforward process or should I forget trying that! lol!

Mark

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PC WizKid

PC WizKid

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2005 - 04:55 AM

You should have a restore disk or something like it.
I love Windows Vista Ultimate

Windows 7 RC no more :cry:

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 28 April 2005 - 05:23 AM

I was wondering if it is possible to restore the computer to its original settings by formatting the hard drive.

Possible - yes, recommended - no.

There are a number of other genuine error messages

Wait till the HJT analysis is finished, then if you still have errors post them and someone will help you.

I had a floppy that I inserted and it did everything for me. Is there somewhere or something I can do to make it that simple?

A floppy! Er... no.

I also have a WinXP disk that is for my computer, is it possible to install XP on this computer

Possible - yes. Legal - no. After online registration either your computer or your friends computer would become unusable.

Edited by Rimmer, 28 April 2005 - 05:25 AM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 solero

solero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2005 - 05:26 AM

Unfortunately the computer was exchanged for an air conditioner (lol) and didn't come with the restore disk...

Any suggestions?

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2005 - 03:01 PM

Hi, a friend recently got some annoying pop ups on his computer. Although this problem is being attended to by OT in the Hijack forum, I was wondering if it is possible to restore the computer to its original settings by formatting the hard drive.

There are a number of other genuine error messages that appear saying that AOLnySev.exe has caused a problem and when its time to turn off the computer exporer.exe does not respond and has to be shut down by the task manager I think.

I remember on my old laptop with a WinME OS I had a floppy that I inserted and it did everything for me. Is there somewhere or something I can do to make it that simple?

Thanks for any advice you can give,

By the way, I also have a WinXP disk that is for my computer, is it possible to install XP on this computer, is it a straightforward process or should I forget trying that! lol!

Mark

Win 2000 Pro does not have system restore like Win ME and Win XP do.

When you say "format" are you talking about reinstalling Windows 2000?

If so, you can do that, but that may be a far more drastic fix than what may be necessary. You will loose everything on the partition that the operating system is on - probably all your other programs and data.

If you are going to install XP on this computer you need a complete install including a license. OEM complete versions of XP home are available for around $90 and XP Pro around $115. Just search the net and buy from a reputable source. You cannot just load someone else's disc (or a pirate copy) like you used to be able to do. Microsoft must validate the license or the system will shut down.

Also, the system you are attempting to install XP on must be able to handle XP. Not all systems are.

Windows XP Advisor will inform you if Win XP will be able to be installed on your computer.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upg...ng/advisor.mspx

Most major computer manufacturers will sell you a system restore disc for the exact computer you have. That will restore the computer to the configuration it had when it was new. You will need to know the model and serial number and then go to the support page on the manufacturer's website. They will probably charge for the disc, although probably not too much.

Edited by Enthusiast, 28 April 2005 - 03:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users