Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two Ide Controllers / Four Ide Channels

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 stlolth

stlolth

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 25 September 2008 - 10:42 AM

i have two ide controllers installed in xp, of which two ide channels have registered devices and two are blank. does anyone know why, and if i should disable one of them?

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 25 September 2008 - 10:53 AM

thats for Primary and Slave Drives.

#3 stlolth

stlolth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2008 - 11:22 AM

dan, you are the scourge of my life. let me tell you.
it's not for primary and slave drives. each controller handles two ide channels. and each ide channel is asigned to two drive connections on the cable. there for there only need to be two ide channels. my problem is i have four because there are two controllers present.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2008 - 11:24 AM

dan, you are the scourge of my life. let me tell you.
it's not for primary and slave drives. each controller handles two ide channels. and each ide channel is asigned to two drive connections on the cable. there for there only need to be two ide channels. my problem is i have four because there are two controllers present.

I have only one IDE Interface, and I have only one Primary Controller and One Secondary, on my previous systems I had what you had.

#5 stlolth

stlolth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2008 - 11:33 AM

that's normal, there should only be one ide controller. that's the standard.
i have an extra one that's not functional, and that would be the Standard Dual Channel one i believe.
i don't know what to do with it and why it's so, i hope someone does.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2008 - 12:07 PM

that's normal, there should only be one ide controller. that's the standard.
i have an extra one that's not functional, and that would be the Standard Dual Channel one i believe.
i don't know what to do with it and why it's so, i hope someone does.

How many IDE Interfaces do you have on your motherboard as it places to insert the ribbons?

#7 stlolth

stlolth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2008 - 12:11 PM

two, but they are called channels. they don't require a controller each, one controller covers two ide channels.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2008 - 12:13 PM

You can disable the one that doesn't work in the BIOS. I call them separate controllers. IDE 1 Controller and IDE 2 Controller where each one can have 2 different devices on their ports. Since they can support 2 channels each

#9 stlolth

stlolth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2008 - 12:43 PM

dan, you are either a well meaning dork, or an obfuscating troll master.
i can't disable the one that doesn't work in bios, they both work, both ide channels work, (plus ide channels can't be disabled in bios, only devices connected to them) it's just that windows shows two controllers instead of one and two extra channels. now please go and unhelp someone else. :thumbsup:

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2008 - 12:50 PM

Leave them alone...they are reflected exactly as they should be.

Each IDE controller supports 2 channels, primary and secondary. You can substitute the word "connector" for "channel".

If you have two IDE connectors on your motherboard...everything is as it should be.

If not, you probably just need to remove all of them in Device Manager and reboot.

Louis

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2008 - 12:55 PM

dan, you are either a well meaning dork, or an obfuscating troll master.
i can't disable the one that doesn't work in bios, they both work, both ide channels work, (plus ide channels can't be disabled in bios, only devices connected to them) it's just that windows shows two controllers instead of one and two extra channels. now please go and unhelp someone else. :thumbsup:

If you are going to insult those that are trying to help, then I suggest you take your questions for tech advice to someplace else that is appreciated. You can to disable IDE Ports on a motherboard individually. I have done so, and so as many others.

If you continue to insult me and my experience then I will not help you and thusly add you to my ignore list.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2008 - 01:05 PM

Calm down, Dan...I've been called much worse, more often (LOL).

He has a right to his opinion...you have a right to yours. Life goes on...

There are any number of forums that I have frequented where this exchange would have been considered tepid, if not cold by inflammatory standards :thumbsup:.

Louis

#13 stlolth

stlolth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2008 - 01:22 PM

i'm sorry dan, it's just that both your advices have been misguided and no help to me. you're not a dork, i take it back, you're a nice man.

#14 stlolth

stlolth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2008 - 01:28 PM

Each IDE controller supports 2 channels, primary and secondary. You can substitute the word "connector" for "channel".

that's right. there are two ide connectors on the motherboard. they're called channels. each channel has two connections on them for two devices.
that means that in windows there should be two ide channels registered, primary and secondary and i have 4 as you can see on the image. i suspect it's because i have two controllers showing (as one contoller controls two ide channels). so all is not as should be.

i'm wondering why there's two controllers (and there for four ide channels) and if i should disable one of them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users