Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Copy Macros From Excel 2003 To Excel 2007

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 STRAWHATS7

STRAWHATS7

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 25 September 2008 - 05:55 AM

Hi can anybody tell me hoe to copy macros from excel 2003 to excel 2007?
The excel 2003 is running under windows xp and the 2007 under windows vista.
(The two versions of excel are installed at differnt computers)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 29 September 2008 - 07:57 PM

I don't know Excel 2007 nor Vista.
But the usual way to copy macros brute force would be to open the VBA toolbar, get into the Modules, select each, and Export one by one. Then import into 2007 modules if Excel 2007 VBA permits that.
If export/import doesn't work, you can always copy out the entire text into Notepad text files, and copy/paste from the Notepad into your 2007 Excel.
If the VBA language or object model has changed between 2000 or 2003 and 2007, then some tweaking might be in order, but I suspect they left it alone, and the error messages, if any, might suggest what to fix.

Since these are different computers, either network them and share some common directory, or use USB flash drive for transfers of the, say, Notepad files.

Export is good, because it names the modules. They get saved someplace in your local settings. Notepad will not name, and doesn't matter really.

#3 clarkcomputer

clarkcomputer

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 04 May 2010 - 07:58 AM

don't make this too complicated. save the Excel 2003 spreadsheet to a flash drive. copy it from flash drive to second computer with Office 2007. open the spreadsheet. it will still be a 2003 xls file. Save As an xlsm file. The macros save intact. I've tried this by saving as an xlsx file and it doesn't work so well.

clarkcomputer
tech support since '99
MCP, Network+, A+
ClarkComputer
MCP, Network+, A+
tech support since '99

#4 almagg

almagg

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:59 AM

also know that there will be some VBA differences between 2003 and 2007.
i just went through an ojb crash course.

e.g., the colors will not come out the same so you may have to import the color scheme.
and a real biggee, in 2003 when a subtotal is done usually the we do a subtotal sum first and then we do an average and the average is placed below the sum.

well as i found out in 2007 the average is placed ABOVE the sum. even when it is done manually/
so the average needs to be done first, then the sum which will be placed above the average.

AND furthermore, if there is only ONE group that is being subtotalled then 2007 does it like you would think.

weird one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users