Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing Video Card After Dvd Restoration

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 superrican

superrican

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 25 September 2008 - 01:52 AM

I recently got a trojan on my computer so I used my resotration dvd that came with my computer a Gateway 610, Windows XP. Is this the same as reformatting and reinstalling? I also found that I have a generic video driver instead of the Nvidia (?) video card that was on my computer before the restoration. Do I have to call Gateway customer service to figure out how to get Nvidia video card/driver back on my computer? Does using the restoration dvd get rid of the trojan?

I'm really not that technically savvy but I can follow basic step by step instructions. I would be so grateful for any help.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 25 September 2008 - 02:02 AM

Can you give us some more information on your computer. Apparently there are 7 different 610 models. Is there a serial number on the case somewhere?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 superrican

superrican
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2008 - 12:41 PM

Sorry,
It's a GT4022 Gateway 610
MS Windows XP
Media Center Edition 2005
And it is supposed to have a nVidia GEForce 6100 Intergrated Graphics Card.
But after the reinstallation it says I have a generic card and to reinstall my driver. But I thought I did that with the resotration dvd it gave me.
Thanks.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 25 September 2008 - 04:02 PM

I think this is the one you want.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 superrican

superrican
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2008 - 05:30 PM

Thank you so much!!
I'll get downloading asap.
Just one last question though, by using the resoration dvd did I do a reformat and reinstall?
Did this get rid of the trojan?

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 25 September 2008 - 05:56 PM

It depends on your particular CD - but most Gateway's use a restore CD that will format your drive. This will get rid of most viruses (the possible exception is boot sector viruses).

The reason that you don't have the video drivers (and possibly others) is that you were supposed to make an Applications and Drivers recovery disk when you first purchased the system. Without that you'll have to chase down the drivers yourself. The easiest way is to go to the Gateway Download Center ( http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/dlcenter.asp ) and enter your serial number to find the drivers.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 superrican

superrican
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2008 - 07:00 PM

I really would like to thank everyone who helped me with my computer problems.
Although I ultimately had to reformat and reinstall everything on my computer, the time and effort you have put to read and reply to my posts so quickly really impressed me.
And the lich.dat file that I was not able to remove was finally removed with the reinstall/reformat. Yaay!!!
Again, big, big, mahalo to everyone who helped!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users