Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Solvent To Use For Cleaning Printer Heads?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bone Idol

Bone Idol

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 25 September 2008 - 01:46 AM

Hello Beepers.

My Epson C45 printer doesn't print cleanly anymore.

The ink tests come out streaked instead of fully filled out.

I think it's clogged heads. I have not been able to find out from the Epson site - or any printing site, what is the name of the solution that is generally used to dissolve clogged heads. They strongly advise not to use alcohol or Windex.

Any ideas?

Up until now, my printer's self-cleaning utility didn't do too bad a job. And when this didn't work, I would have success after fooling the machine into doing a charge-up as though I had put in new cartridges.

The only thing that works now, is if I leave the printer alone overnight, and then make a printout. It'll be perfect, but only this once. It's like the ink is too thick in the cartridges, and needs time to gravitate down to the nozzle-outlets.

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 25 September 2008 - 06:49 AM

Hi Bone Idol.
I have always used a dish soap\hot tap water mix. If they are extremely clogged you'll want to refresh the solution every hour or two, constantly keeping the water warm\hot. (not boiling).:thumbsup:

#3 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2008 - 06:55 AM

Thanks, HitSquad. I'll try that out.

I have no idea how to get to the ink-heads from underneath, and looks like I'll have to try to remove the printer carriage first.

Cheers.

#4 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2008 - 07:01 AM

Update:

I've cleaned the heads successfully. For the first time in months the inks are running properly now. I removed the plastic tube from a Windex bottle and pushed it onto the end of a syringe - and then drew up some Windex into it. Then pushed the end of the plastic tube over the print-head nozzles and gave them a squirt.

Worked like a charm!

Posted Image

#5 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 26 September 2008 - 07:47 AM

Definetley not the recommended method. :thumbsup:
Anything you shoot through the printheads while attached to the printer, ultimatley ends up messing with the purge pump and waste ink pads when the built-in cleaning function is run. That is why you should always remove the printheads for cleaning. If you are lucky you will not suffer any permanent damage or "windexed down" runny ink inside the printer itself. :huh:

#6 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2008 - 04:24 PM

I agree, HitSquad, but unfortunately Epson printers do not have removable print heads that you can take out for cleaning.

Other printers have either removable ones, or the print heads are integral with the ink cartridges.

As I was syringing these heads, I had absorbent paper underneath, soaking up the 'effluent'.

:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users