Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvd Burner Errors When Dvd Menu Comes On

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 SpitfireTK

SpitfireTK

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 25 September 2008 - 12:35 AM

Hi. I just installed my IDE Lite On DVD Burner and my OS and BIOS see it fine. When I put in a DVD, it plays trailers and the warning screens, but then errors out as soon as the DVD buttons for the menu come on. I'm guessing it might be a driver issue with the IDE controller. I couldn't find any updated drivers on the Dell website. There is no firmware upgrade for the DVD burner on the LiteOn website. Any idea or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Dell Dimension 4500
Motherboard: Intel Pendleton 2 D845EPT2
Chipset: Intel Brookdale i845E
DVD burner: DH20A4H LITE-ON 20x DVDRW IDE Litescribe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 25 September 2008 - 09:11 AM

Is the region code correct?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 SpitfireTK

SpitfireTK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2008 - 10:15 AM

Yes, it's set to Region 1 for the US

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2008 - 02:52 PM

then errors out as soon as the DVD buttons for the menu come on.

What does the error say?
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 25 September 2008 - 03:42 PM

Very unlikely to be any sort of driver problem.

Best bet is a software problem with you playback software, or a software conflict. What program are you using for playback?

Edited by dpunisher, 25 September 2008 - 03:43 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#6 SpitfireTK

SpitfireTK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2008 - 04:51 PM

garmanma - the standard "encountered a problem and needs to shut down" message... then sends an error report to Microsoft.

dpunisher - I've tried using Windows Media Player (latest version) and Interactual player. Both play everything until it comes to the point in the menu screen where you have to choose an option. Then the player just shuts off.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 25 September 2008 - 06:34 PM

What codec package do you have installed?

Louis

#8 SpitfireTK

SpitfireTK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2008 - 11:11 PM

Windows Essentials Media Codec Pack 1.0

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2008 - 08:55 AM

I would try installing the kLite package...nothing to lose, http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

If it doesn't solve it, the codec package won't hurt your system and may be useful in the future.

Louis

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2008 - 09:55 AM

the standard "encountered a problem and needs to shut down" message...

Does any relevant errors show up in the Event Viewer?
Mark
Posted Image

#11 SpitfireTK

SpitfireTK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2008 - 12:30 PM

Looks like the Klite codec pack solved the problem with the applications crashing. Now it's just choppy, but that might be because the rest of my hardware sucks :thumbsup: Any ideas how to figure out the best video card my mobo can support? thanks for your help everyone!

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2008 - 02:09 PM

Choppiness...and other irritations...sometimes occur because the drive being used needs defragging.

You might try defragging your C: partition.

Louis

#13 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 26 September 2008 - 03:04 PM

Pull up "Taskmanager" and run your DVD windowed. Keep an eye on CPU usage. If it is pushing 100%, your CPU is just too slow. Reminds me of the old days when we had to buy separate DVD decoder cards to put in the PCI slot so we could watch movies.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#14 SpitfireTK

SpitfireTK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2008 - 03:05 PM

it's a recently reformatted 120 gb drive (maybe a couple of months ago)... but i'll give it a try and see if that helps. i wouldn't mind putting in a cheap used vid card for this machine though. i think the mobo built in one is a nvidia geforce4 mx420 with 64mb. i don't think there's a pci express slot, but there is an agp slot. i have no idea what the the mobo can handle though. any suggestions?

#15 SpitfireTK

SpitfireTK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2008 - 03:11 PM

good idea dpunisher... i'll check out the cpu usage when i get home. i think that desktop has a 1.8ghz P4 processor with 1.5 gb ram so i'm guessing it's the crappy 64mb on board vid card

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users