Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Antivirus For The Money (free Or Otherwise)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Kenopolis

Kenopolis

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:18 PM

I'm geting ready to replace the heavy nortons with a nice light program. It failed me for the last time recently.
An online scan from bitdefender fixed the problem, but now I don't want it to happen again.

So far I'm going in the direction of a free cocktail of comodo, Spybot S&D w/teatimer
and either AVG, Avast, or Bitdefender.

I am thinking of buying the full AVG or Bitdefender. Anyone know what is the least resource hogging, and most effective?

can anyone add something I might have missed?

Please respond even if someone else has posted the obvious answer, as I'm trying to get a consensus here.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:30 PM

Unfortunately there is no such thing as a consensus when it comes to anti-virus software. A lot of it comes down to personal preference.

Also, no anti-virus is 100% bulletproof. Your internet surfing and computer use habits can make a big difference to whether or not you get infected.

Personally I believe that the free anti-virus solutions available offer adequate protection, and as such I wouldn't pay for one.

I am currently using Comodo Anti-virus (free) and am happy with it.

AntiVir, Avira and AVG are other good options.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Kenopolis

Kenopolis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2008 - 11:45 PM

Thanks for your input.

I'm using comodo firewall, and so far so good.
I'm familiar with AVG, and Wal-Mart carries the full version, is the full worth buying? (other than just to have the disk?)
I really liked bitdefender's web scan, as it helped me a gread deal, and I've heard good things about them... However if I understand correctly, their free version doesn't do active scan.

I also heard of Avast, but I'm not sure of the difference between it and and the others.

Active scanning is a must, and system hogging is a must not.

I don't know much at all about antivir or avira.

I hope you don't think I'm using you all as an interactive google, but from the forums I have read, you are able to help a lot of people, so your opinions and advice are valued as I make my choices.

Thanks again,
Ken

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 27 September 2008 - 12:35 AM

I ditched purchased programs long ago. Comodo and AVG free versions are what I settled on.

However, if you want to purchase a product, I suggest that you should install the products free trial first. You will know quickly if it is a program which is not resource heavy, whether it has an easy to use interface, what the features are and how to use them, and if it will affect the performance of your computer.

The links below lead to trial versions of paid products.

http://www.avg.com/download-trial

http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_professional.html

http://www.avira.com/en/download/index.html

Kaspersky has an excellent anti-virus, which you can also try for 30 days. But be forewarned, Kaspersky will have a long list of programs that are incompatible with it. This is the reason I don't use Kaspersky.

#5 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 27 September 2008 - 04:42 AM

FWIW. I use and recommend Sygate Personal Firewall, Avast AntiVirus Home Edition (realtime scanning of everything), coupled with ThreatFire which works with all other programs. I am happy to pay for the realtime protection of SuperAntiSpyware Pro, and WinPatrol is very useful to have as well.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#6 Simargl

Simargl

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2008 - 12:53 PM

Why you do not use one antivirus with real time protection (AVG, Avast or Antivir) and one without real time protection like bitdefendrer free.

In that case you can scan with bitdefender once a month, simply to check your system. You can turn off automatic update in bitdefender, and disable bitdefender services in normal conditions. Once a month you can start services, do update, and scan whole system with bitdefender for each case if another antivirus is miss something.

Edited by Simargl, 27 September 2008 - 12:54 PM.

#7 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2008 - 06:12 PM

Or he could use an online scanner for a secondary scan.

#8 perr

perr

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 27 September 2008 - 06:24 PM

Best one on the market in my opinion.
http://www.eset.com/

Edited by perr, 27 September 2008 - 06:25 PM.

#9 Kenopolis

Kenopolis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2008 - 09:31 AM

Thanks everyone for your input.
I think I'm going to go with avast for now. It has the boot scan and email scan. I'm not sure I'm going to like the interface, but I'll see how it works.

So now I've got Avast, Comodo firewall, and Spybot S&D

Any other suggestions for full protection?

#10 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2008 - 10:40 AM

http://www.superantispyware.com/ as an on demand spyware scanner.

#11 Kenopolis

Kenopolis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2008 - 04:54 PM

I'll have to look into that one. I don't know much about it yet.
thanks!

#12 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 29 September 2008 - 12:43 AM

SuperAntiSpyware is generally recognised as one of the best malware beaters, but you do not get realtime protection with the free version. $19.95 will buy you 2 lifetime licences.

Threatfire free is well worth having as an extra layer of protection and does not fight with other programs. As I mentioned before, WinPatrol free is well worth having also as it will notify you when anything tries to alter your machine, gives you heaps of info, and is the easiest way to stop startup programs.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users