Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Setup

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 wheats

wheats

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 28 April 2005 - 01:29 AM

Just picked up a asus P5GD1-VM and have it all setup but alittle confused on how to power the mother board..the case comes with a 20 pin and 4 pin power source but the motherboard is 24 pin and a seperate 4 pin ..Do I have to get a case with a 24 pin or can I plug in the 20 pin in the 24 pin socket and the 4 pin in the 4 pin....

Thank You

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 28 April 2005 - 04:42 AM

It looks like the "standard" ATX power supply connector has just changed from 20 pins to 24 pins. Apparently you can buy 20-24 pin adaptors.

You can plug your 20 pin plug into the 24 pin socket from what I've read, but it probably won't power up. You still need to plug in the 4 pin connector at the appropriate spot.

Good Luck :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 28 April 2005 - 12:00 PM

Rimmer's correct, I think. I had just the opposite problem - a 24-pin power supply that came with an adapter to change it to 20-pin. You can either get a new power supply that supports 24 pins or you can get this adapter or one like it.

Edited to add: further research leads me to believe that you can even plug your power supply into the existing 24-pin setup, if you are absolutely certain where to place the plug. Check the motherboard manual to see what's possible. Also, I've seen several people mention that your power supply should be good quality with at least 400-watt capacity. If it isn't, it would be worth buying a better power supply with the 24-pin plug. Mine's a 450 watt Cooler Master Real Power with the 24-pin plug and cables that are just way too darned long. :-)

Edited by Herk, 28 April 2005 - 12:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users