Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New User having trouble with knoppix

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 PapaSmurf88

PapaSmurf88

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 28 April 2005 - 01:14 AM

Hey whats up with everyone out there. I'm new to the whole linux thing. Ive used Microsoft 98 & xp since they both came out and hatted them both but knew of no other option in operating systems. I'm now know that linux is FREE, woop woop gotta love free, and is a great way to screw Bill Gates in his rich ass with a guy named Bubba. Anyways back to my questions

1. I'm going to school to get my A+ certification and am trying to install Knoppix on the computer there. Ive got everything installed but when i log in it says Something about my DCOP not running i don't have the exact error message with me but when i get to school tomorrow i will post the error message. If some1 could help me out i really like knoppix so far it seems like a great tool for working on computers but i also want to test out a linux O/S as a perm O/S (Im doing this at school so if I mess anything up i dont hurt all my personal files) The Sys specs at school are as follows:
-AMD 800mHz Processors
-ATI Rage 8Mb AGP videos card
-128Mb Ram
-20Gb HD (this is divided up into 2 10GB partitions)
-first partition-Windows 2000 Pro
-2nd partition-Knoppix 3.8
i dont think there is much else very special about them other than this if you can think of anything plz help me out im stuck and have NO clue what im doing
My Specs:

Albatron PX915P4C Pro
Intel P4 3.0 Ghz Processor w/ HT technology
2x 512MB PC3200 Memory
120 GB Western Digital IDE HD
SAPPHIRE X550 256Mb Video Card

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PapaSmurf88

PapaSmurf88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2005 - 12:33 PM

Hey guys i just got to school and got the errors that show up on start up here they are the first one is this:

There Was an error setting up inter-process communications for KDE. The message returned by the system was:

Could not read network connection list
//.DCOPserver_JoshW_O

Please check that the "dcopserver" program is running

after i clik okay it pops up a couple more times then i get this message

Will not save Configuration

Configuration file "//.kde/share/config/kwinre" not writable

Confiuration file "//.kde/share/config/kdeglobal" not writable

after click okay on that error i get the first error a couple more times then i get this error

No write access to $HOME directory (/)

KDE is unable to start

finally after clicking okay on this error i get both the first and second errors a couple more times then the desktop looks like its gonna start and i get this error

Could not start Ksmserver. Check your install

i some how got into the shell command mode this morning but i dont know how i did it if some one could plz help me i really want to get to know how to use linux. but plz remember that i am very new to this so any instruction you give will have to be step by step
My Specs:

Albatron PX915P4C Pro
Intel P4 3.0 Ghz Processor w/ HT technology
2x 512MB PC3200 Memory
120 GB Western Digital IDE HD
SAPPHIRE X550 256Mb Video Card

#3 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2005 - 06:32 PM

I only run knoppix off the CD...haven't installed it to disk. Try these knoppix forums.
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/
http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/forum-49.html

Edited by raw, 02 May 2005 - 06:36 PM.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users