Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Dual Boot Menu Without Cd: Simple Fix?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 creflo

creflo

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 24 September 2008 - 06:00 PM

The question to my main problem is located on the last sentance of the last paragraph. You can skip to it if you are tech savvy and don't need any background info.

For those of you having similar problems dual booting from two seperate SATA HD setups here is what I ended up doing:

First I backed up all my Vista files including device drivers and saved them to DVD-R. Then I created a floppy disk containing my RAID and SATA controller drivers from an .exe program I found on my motherboard driver installation CD (EVGA 750i FTW motherboard). Then I deleted and created new partitions on each HD setup by booting from the Windows Vista system disk. I inserted the Windows XP system disk and rebooted my computer to enter Windows XP installation setup.

Now in case you didn't know, Windows XP (older version) does not recognize SATA drives. I happen to be running three SATA Seagate hard drives (one single and two in RAID 0 array), a SLI setup consisting of two Geforce 8800 GTS cards, as well as a SATA optical DVD-RW drive,and an extra IDE optical DVD-RW drive. I am also using a Windows XP SP2 installation disk from an old Dell computer to perform the XP installation, and a retail version of Windows Vista 64-bit. What this all means is that I will have to install the RAID and SATA controller drivers before the XP installation can occur, otherwise it will simply not recognize there being any hard drives to install on. So I pre-made a floppy disk for the RAID and SATA Controller Drivers that my motherboard driver installation CD had nicely placed for me in a .exe floppy disk setup program just for this purpose (kudos to EVGA) and I was ready to install XP onto my first HD.

Through the F6 feature at the beginning windows xp install (this window of opportunity comes quickly after booting to CD), I used my floppy disk to install RAID and SATA controllers. After windows installed and desktop began loading I crashed to blue screen with an error message pointing to a file named NVGTS.SYS, so I called my motherboard manufacturer (EVGA) and learned it had something to do with nvgts.sys file for the SATA controller. I have two Nividia Geforce 8800 GTS video cards in SLI, so I took one out of my case and then booted back up and I still got the same blue screen with an error associated with nvgts.sys file. So I also unhooked my SATA optical DVD drive from my computer and BOOM, my desktop finally loads up in Windows XP! Good thing decided to buy an extra IDE optical drive when I built this system.

Then I decided to install Windows Vista on my RAID 0 Stripe and it installed flawlessly. I restarted I finally got what I was looking for: "Choose an operating system" I choose "Earlier Version of Windows" and XP booted up just fine. So now my windows XP and Vista is set up to dual boot! However, if I do not have the Windows System Disk placed in the optical drive when I restart my computer, instead of a boot menu, I get this message:

CLIENT MAC ADDR: 00 1F BC 00 09 F6 00000000-0000-0000-0807-060504030201
DHCP....... (it was stuck here for about 7 to 8 minutes looking for DHCP or something)

then once it found the DHCP after 7 or 8 minutes of searching, it modified the message to read this:

CLIENT MAC ADDR: 00 1F BC 00 09 F6 00000000-0000-0000-0807-060504030201
PXE-E53: No boot filename recieved

PXEM0F: Exiting NVIDIA Boot Agent
DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

I quickly learned that the message above only appears when there IS NO DISK IN THE OPTICAL DRIVE when rebooting. In fact, it doesn't matter which version of Windows installation disk I use, either an XP or Visa disk is absolutely required to enter the windows dual boot menu. So now my question is: How do I load my windows boot menu without having to have my Windows system disk already in my CD drive?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 creflo

creflo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 24 September 2008 - 07:06 PM

I figured it out! It was my hard drive boot priority in my bios. It had my raid array with windows Vista as first boot device so I switched it to my single HD that I installed XP on first. Now it loads the dual boot menu for XP and Vista without needing a windows system CD in the drive. Kudos to Rick P. aka raph on the howtogeek forums for pointing me in the right direction. Hopefully if nothing else this thread will help others having the same problem with their gaming rigs.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 25 September 2008 - 07:24 AM

There's a similar thread either here or in the XP forum about this same issue (and an attempted restore).
If I can find it, I'll link them here.
Thanks for letting us know!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 25 September 2008 - 09:37 AM

The similar thread is here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/170876/help-with-dual-boot-vistaxp-and-raid-0/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users