Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ok, I Have Religously Backed Up, Now How Do I Recover...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ph7ryan

ph7ryan

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 24 September 2008 - 04:41 PM

So I used a simple app called HDcopy to make an identical copy of my internal hard drive onto my external hard drive(file wise....), and everything is ready to be copied back to the hard drive....I would like to do this without installing any kind of windows, but ubuntu will not let me write on my hard drive until I install ubuntu, so they know that the hard drive is mine....

My main issue is that I want my hard drive to look exactly like the old one, because I have programs and settings set in windows, that I would not like to have to redo, because from what I have, I don't need to....

(I am not going to go into why everything is gone, because it is what I meant to do, and is irrelevent to this situation)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 24 September 2008 - 05:07 PM

Not familiar with the program named...but if it is a cloning program, that seems to be what you want.

A cloning program would make an exact duplicate of the boot partition...on another hard drive/partition.

Partition Magic is the program that I use for this, since I've owned it for about 8 years.

I don't know how much HDCopy is, but Partition Magic can be had for around $45, http://castle.pricewatch.com/s/search.asp?...ition+Magic+8.0

Louis

The version of HDCopy that I saw...was designed for Win 9x systems, not XP.

Edited by hamluis, 24 September 2008 - 05:13 PM.

#3 ph7ryan

ph7ryan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2008 - 10:17 AM

Not familiar with the program named...but if it is a cloning program, that seems to be what you want.

A cloning program would make an exact duplicate of the boot partition...on another hard drive/partition.

Partition Magic is the program that I use for this, since I've owned it for about 8 years.

I don't know how much HDCopy is, but Partition Magic can be had for around $45, http://castle.pricewatch.com/s/search.asp?...ition+Magic+8.0

Louis

The version of HDCopy that I saw...was designed for Win 9x systems, not XP.

Well....i don't know, but it worked, and I have all of the files that were on the original hard drive in a folder labled backup on the external hard drive.....

I want to be able to just say to copy all of the files to the hard drive, without loading up windows, because I want to be able to copy the windows folder, and not have to deal with some files not copying because of their read only state....

I also don't want to redo the entire windows installating process.....

JUST TO BE CLEAR....I DO HAVE THE FILES ALREADY COPIED, AND SUGGESTING PROGRAMS IS USLESS FOR ME....

#4 perr

perr

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 25 September 2008 - 10:48 AM

If you have a folder named backup you did not clone the drive, you copied it. A clone would look just like the parent drive. It probably won't be bootable as copying won't copy the system files. {MBR, NTLDR,etc.}

#5 ph7ryan

ph7ryan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2008 - 07:00 PM

If you have a folder named backup you did not clone the drive, you copied it. A clone would look just like the parent drive. It probably won't be bootable as copying won't copy the system files. {MBR, NTLDR,etc.}

OK....whatever....I DIDN"T CLONE IT>>>>WHATEVER!!!!!.....

The important thing is that The contents of the folder contain everything that the orginal hard drive contains in that order, and I want to copy it to an already NTFS formated hard drive....

Who cares what it is called, or what I didn't buy to do it....

I HAVE THE FILES, AND NOW I WANT TO PUT THEM ONTO THE HARD DRIVE....

IF YOU DO NOT KNOW HOW TO GO ON WITH THIS PROCESS FROM THE POINT WHERE I AM, THANKS BUT NO THANKS!!!!!!!!

#6 perr

perr

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 25 September 2008 - 07:51 PM

Well my friend, with that attitude you will not get anymore help from me. You are rude!. Bye now.

Edited by perr, 25 September 2008 - 07:52 PM.

#7 ph7ryan

ph7ryan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2008 - 09:36 PM

Well my friend, with that attitude you will not get anymore help from me. You are rude!. Bye now.

OK...bye....its not like you were gonna help me anyways be being captin obvious....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users