Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Boot To Windows

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SergeantMuffin

SergeantMuffin

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 24 September 2008 - 03:35 PM

I've been trying to clean up my computer because I've had a problem playing a game. So a couple of days ago I followed the instructions from Microsoft's tech support on how to do a clean boot:

1. In the System Configuration Utility dialog box, click the General tab, and then click Selective Startup.
2. Click to clear the Process SYSTEM.INI File check box.
3. Click to clear the Process WIN.INI File check box.
4. Click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.
5. Click the Services tab.
6. Click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box.
7. Click Disable All, and then click OK..
8. When you are prompted, click Restart to restart the computer.

After rebooting the computer booted up just fine. Flash forward to a few days ago. I tried to defrag but it stopped part of the way through. So I read through some things on google and it seemed like the next logical step was to try booting in safe mode. I went back to the system configuration and enabled /SAFEBOOT.

I clicked the button to restart the computer but it wouldn't boot to Windows. I now can't get past a black screen with a loading bar.

The computer boots normally up until that point, so I can get into BIOS and the safe mode command screen. From the safe mode screen I have tried various options. Safe Mode with Command Prompt seems to load various drivers but just hangs after it loads mup.sys. Choosing Last Known Good Configuration gives me the same problem it would if I would boot normally, a white progress bar fills and then the system hangs.

I've tried to access the Recovery Console from a Windows XP Pro boot disc. The disc loads the text screen setup and loads various drivers, but freezes at "Setup is Starting Windows".

Any ideas as to what I could do?

Thanks,
JT

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,555 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 24 September 2008 - 04:13 PM

Try this, Black Screen (fixmbr) - http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314503

I believe that your "loading bar" is actually the cursor blinking.

Louis

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 25 September 2008 - 03:04 PM

If the FIXMBR thing doesn't remedy your problem, I'd suggest running a bootable hard drive diagnostic from the manufacturer of your hard drive. There's a list of the most common ones here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 mostwanted101

mostwanted101

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 26 September 2008 - 12:52 AM

1.i think ur experiencing rebooting...

Go 2 setup then check if the hard disk is in the 1st boot.

so if not work..

2. windows "REPAIR"

do u know the procedures?...

im looking 4ward to ur response..

^^

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 26 September 2008 - 01:06 PM

Why would Microsoft give you tech support information that could potentially ruin your computer?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users