Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Used Xp Computer--must Have Its Own Recovery Disk?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 taly

taly

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:44 AM

The owner lost the recovery disk(RD) which came with the computer from HP. Will the RD which came with my Compaq laptop do the trick for cleaning out the system?

Thanks.

HP XP SP3
2.8GHZ Intel Pentium 4 Processor
512MB DDR Memory
80GB Hard Drive
CD-RW
Two years old
$180

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:48 AM

What is the model of the HP?

Are you sure that there was a recovery disk originally? Some HPs have a recovery partition.

What is wrong that they need to do a repair?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 taly

taly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2008 - 12:01 PM

What is the model of the HP?

Are you sure that there was a recovery disk originally? Some HPs have a recovery partition.

What is wrong that they need to do a repair?

He's moving. They don't need a second computer. Supposedly nothing wrong with it.

#4 Guest_The weatherman_*

Guest_The weatherman_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 September 2008 - 12:09 PM

There is a good possibility it contains this PC Angel :thumbsup:

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2008 - 12:12 PM

Sorry Taly, you're not being real clear on your intentions. So...this computer was given to you and you now wish to clean out the hdd? If you are thinking of formating the hdd and reinstalling the OS, and want help from us here, you will need to answer the question, what are the models?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 taly

taly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 24 September 2008 - 12:51 PM

Sorry Taly, you're not being real clear on your intentions. So...this computer was given to you and you now wish to clean out the hdd? If you are thinking of formating the hdd and reinstalling the OS, and want help from us here, you will need to answer the question, what are the models?

It's an HP/Compaq D220MT. I haven't yet bought it. I'm just trying to determine the best way to make sure it works for me.

#7 DrGnomer

DrGnomer

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2008 - 02:30 PM

Those were usually sold to corporations. Great little workhorse. I doubt it would have PC Angel on it.

#8 taly

taly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 24 September 2008 - 02:59 PM

He just sold it to someone else.

Thanks.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,864 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2008 - 03:24 PM

FWIW: I suggest that you take a look at websites like www.pricewatch for systems with an O/S and accompanying COA. IMO, they will offer greater value than buying a used system from any individual or business, if only because of warranty, COA, and O/S disk, as well as better/newer/unused components.

It won't do any harm to see what opportunities are out there which might better serve your needs and provide greater value.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 24 September 2008 - 03:25 PM.

#10 Guest_The weatherman_*

Guest_The weatherman_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 September 2008 - 04:20 PM

Those were usually sold to corporations. Great little workhorse. I doubt it would have PC Angel on it.

I can only offer my help through my own experience, and from the post's I see at the time. forgive me ! not :thumbsup:

Edited by The weatherman, 24 September 2008 - 04:29 PM.

#11 DrGnomer

DrGnomer

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 24 September 2008 - 04:33 PM

I can only offer my help through my own experience, and from the post's I see at the time. forgive me ! not :flowers:

I was just saying.. It could have it on it... I just dont think so...

Your advice was fine.. :thumbsup:

#12 Guest_The weatherman_*

Guest_The weatherman_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 September 2008 - 04:47 PM

I can only offer my help through my own experience, and from the post's I see at the time. forgive me ! not :flowers:

I was just saying.. It could have it on it... I just dont think so...

Your advice was fine.. :thumbsup:

We will never Know, sorry taly.

#13 taly

taly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2008 - 09:26 PM

FWIW: I suggest that you take a look at websites like www.pricewatch for systems with an O/S and accompanying COA. IMO, they will offer greater value than buying a used system from any individual or business, if only because of warranty, COA, and O/S disk, as well as better/newer/unused components.

It won't do any harm to see what opportunities are out there which might better serve your needs and provide greater value.

Louis

Louis,
Good suggestion. Can I ask for more advice?
Are there any methods to determine which options I should choose? Though not a novice, I'm still unfamiliar with a great deal (e.g. I know that O/S means operating system but not what COA is).
Thanks,
Taly

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 24 September 2008 - 09:39 PM

C.O.A., Certification of Authenticity.

A Certificate of Authenticity (COA) is a label that helps you identify genuine Microsoft software.

http://www.rm.com/Support/TechnicalArticle.asp?cref=TEC11561

#15 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2008 - 09:42 PM

COA- certificate of authenticity
It's a small hologram sticker proving that the OS is a legitimate, not a pirated copy
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users