Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clean Uninstallation Of Ubuntu

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 mokseng

mokseng

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:19 AM

I was running Ubuntu and Vista on dual-boot, and i've decided to uninstall Ubuntu for now.

Originally, i did not use a CD to boot Ubuntu, but i just had the ISO file and everything i needed in my D:\ drive. Hence, i deleted everything regarding Ubuntu in there, and went to Control Panel to attempt to uninstall Ubuntu from there. However, when my system boots up, it still prompts me if i want to enter Vista or Ubuntu, through the dual-boot option. But if i chose Ubuntu, it would say a certain file did not work properly or is corrupted.

How do i completely remove Ubuntu's files?

Any experienced help would be very much appreciated. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:55 AM

so you used wubi?

#3 mokseng

mokseng
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2008 - 12:33 PM

I'm not sure what wubi is. But i was told that i could save it in my D drive and just have it on dual-boot. I guess that is it.

#4 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2008 - 02:01 PM

The whole control panel thing threw me off. All i can think to tell you is delete the ubuntu partition and repartition it into something that windows can handle. As far as Grub, i'm not sure you can get rid of that once you put it on there. There is most likely a way to do it, but playing with the master boot record isn't something i'd be comfortable trying to tell you about.

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,505 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 24 September 2008 - 03:25 PM

See if the info in the link below can help you.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=113630
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 mokseng

mokseng
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2008 - 09:57 PM

Hmmm.. i don't think i want to download that, buddy215. But thanks for the link.

How do i remove grub from my system? I guess i have already removed Ubuntu?

#7 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2008 - 01:43 AM

see the problem is that when you install ubuntu/grub, grub replaces ntldr (*windows*NT Loader). Well it probably doesn't replace it, but pushes it away definitely. I don't think even reformatting the linux partition will do that. *maybe* reformatting the whole drive, but since you loaded one OS on one physical disk and the other on another I don't think that will do it either. There's probably something in /boot that will do what you need, but how to get there from windows, or what you need to do there is beyond me. Wait for one of the gurus to see the topic or google around is all i can say. But don't take advice on this from warez sites or anything like that, messing with the master boot record could do some serious damage to your system.
The only thing i can confidently tell you is that you will be able to use the space you set aside for ubuntu if you get a program that can handle formatting an ext2/3 partition. Windows *might* be able to delete it, but i doubt it. You can pop in your vista disk and boot up with it to find out, maybe you'll get lucky.

*edit* think buddy's right. kinda wish i would have read it before i posted this. If you do it, you need to follow the directions very very carefully. The formatting part would just be a pain if you mess it up. the MBR part on the other hand...well just gotta hope you dont.

Edited by smurfgod, 25 September 2008 - 06:31 AM.

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,505 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 25 September 2008 - 04:19 AM

I don't think you will find a simpler solution to uninstall ubuntu and grub on a dual boot system.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#9 mokseng

mokseng
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2008 - 07:28 AM

Seems like a whole lot of trouble i've got myself into, just for installing Ubuntu.

Heh.. it's clinging on my system. :thumbsup:

Hope someone who has a better alternative reads this topic and give his 10 cents worth.

#10 machiner

machiner

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 25 September 2008 - 08:39 PM

You can run fdisk /mbr if you have an old win98 setup floppy around. You can run fixmbr also, I think that one is available in the recovery console of the nt based windows versions.

#11 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2008 - 09:53 PM

If you have the Vista CD:

So how do you restore your MBR for Windows Vista?

1. Put the Windows Vista installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer.
2. Press a key when you are prompted.
3. Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or an input method, and then click Next.
4. Click Repair your computer.
5. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.
6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.
7. Type Bootrec.exe /FixMbr, and then press ENTER.

That's it. Now when you reboot your PC, Vista will load automatically

If your PC did not come with a real Vista Install Disk go here:
http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vist...-disc-download/

Repair MBR from working Vista system:
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone....htm#MbrFix.exe

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#12 mokseng

mokseng
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2008 - 11:52 PM

Thanks raw, i will try that.

#13 mokseng

mokseng
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2008 - 12:18 AM

Tried the MBRFix.exe method, but wouldn't work on my system. I still have to choose to boot Vista or Ubuntu on startup, and if i hit Ubuntu, it says:

File: \ubuntu\winboot\wubildr.mbr
Description: The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.

And i would like to ask, can i use DAEMON Tools Lite to run the .iso file of the Vista Recovery Disk, or is it a must for me to burn it to a CD/DVD and boot it from there?

Also, do i download Windows Vista x86 or x64?

#14 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2008 - 01:14 AM

*deleted*

You don't download either. You either create a disk from inside vista, use the one they gave you when you bought the pc, or you go out and buy it. Piracy and directions to piracy aren't allowed here.

#15 mokseng

mokseng
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2008 - 01:50 AM

I'm just following raw's guide. He's an advisor, so i guess it's nothing wrong?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users