Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Limit On Usb Connections That Can Be Made?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 drpepper55

drpepper55

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 24 September 2008 - 09:52 AM

Hi all, I have a Dell Latitude CPX650 w/XP Home. My Dell has only 1 USB port in the back, it being of the 1.1 variety but I have been able to use 2.0 hardware to it and they have been compatible w/no problems for 3 years plus. I added a 4-port USB hub and have for the most part used 3 of those ports pretty much all of the time-and occasionally all 4- into my 1 on the back of the Dell for over 1-1/2 years now and also have had no problems. I bought a chill pad here recently that came with a built in 4-port hub in the base. If I connect the 4-port into 1 of the ports on the first 4-port hub, should I expect problems? Is there a rule of thumb or a common practice into how many ports can be extended from or put into 1 port? Thanks guys... :flowers: :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 24 September 2008 - 10:59 AM

Hi all, I have a Dell Latitude CPX650 w/XP Home. My Dell has only 1 USB port in the back, it being of the 1.1 variety but I have been able to use 2.0 hardware to it and they have been compatible w/no problems for 3 years plus. I added a 4-port USB hub and have for the most part used 3 of those ports pretty much all of the time-and occasionally all 4- into my 1 on the back of the Dell for over 1-1/2 years now and also have had no problems. I bought a chill pad here recently that came with a built in 4-port hub in the base. If I connect the 4-port into 1 of the ports on the first 4-port hub, should I expect problems? Is there a rule of thumb or a common practice into how many ports can be extended from or put into 1 port? Thanks guys... :flowers: :thumbsup:

The limit a few years ago was something like 123 USB Devices in one port.

#3 drpepper55

drpepper55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2008 - 12:38 PM

You say, "The limit a few years ago was something like 123 USB Devices in one port. "

To that I say, "That's great, then I should have no worries if I'm only looking to try about 8 or so." I know, as I said, so far with having or using 4 I have not had any problems or major slowdowns that I can see. I just wanted to know if there was a limit, and if so, how many so I could anticipate if I might be pushing too far and if I could expect problems so as to plan better since what I have been using thr ports so far are for my cordless mouse receiving stick and 2 external harddrives and occasionally a 3rd thus using the 4 of the first 4-port hub or using the 4th one as my upload connection to upload songs/videos to my mp3/mp4 player and when I do I disconnect 1 of the hdds so I can free up a port. Now with what you tell me, I can rest easier knowing I'm good to go even if I use all 8 ports available to me. Thanks much...Best to you... :thumbsup: :flowers:

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 24 September 2008 - 12:48 PM

There was this school who gathered up 123 USB mac keyboards and connected them all together, and on the 124th one the link died.

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2008 - 09:26 PM

There seems too be a maximum 127 device limit on a single USB 2.0 port.
It depends on whether your USB hub is powered or unpowered.
Also the devices/peropherals connected are powered or unpowered.
How much bandwidth and power the devices connected are drawing.
If a device cannot find the required bandwidth or power, it will be disconnected.

If the hub is unpowered then the limit falls down to 3-8 devices.

USB 1.1 has bandwidth limit of 12Mbps so this also reduces its connection limit and performance.
USB 2.0 offers data flow speed of 480Mbps
USB 3.0 offers data flow speed of 4.8Gbps (to be launched in 2009)

#6 drpepper55

drpepper55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2008 - 10:28 AM

Cryptodan says, "There was this school who gathered up 123 USB mac keyboards and connected them all together, and on the 124th one the link died."

Now there's a challenge for the pc guy to go for...Now you're gonna start a war... :inlove: :trumpet: :cool: :thumbsup: :flowers:

#7 drpepper55

drpepper55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2008 - 10:31 AM

Thanks for the interesting and valuable info, Romeo29. In my case my first 4 port hub I mentioned is unpowered while I believe my 4 ports on the chill pad are powered, I'll have to check. If they are I'll have to reverse my order of use to favor the powered ones and get better performance or less loss. Thanks again...Best to you... :thumbsup:

Edited by drpepper55, 25 September 2008 - 10:32 AM.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 25 September 2008 - 03:47 PM

In general you'll know if the ports are powered because you'll have a plug to plug into the wall for the hub.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users