Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Internet; Please Help!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dborns

Dborns

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 24 September 2008 - 09:45 AM

I'm running windows vista on a Dell desktop that is less than a year old. I use IE and I have AT&T internet service. About 3 weeks ago, I noticed the internet running very slow. After a virus scan I found a trojan that I was able to remove, but the internet continued to run slowly. After numerous scans including HJT, AVG, ESET, Symantec, and Malwarebytes, my computer is clean with no infections. It only happens when I am online, offline programs and functions run normal. I've removed all temp files, TIFS, browsing history, etc. I also have a laptop that runs wirelessly off the same modem with no problems.

Mod Edit: Topic moved from Web Browsing/Email to more appropriate forum~ TMacK

Edited by TMacK, 24 September 2008 - 09:56 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 24 September 2008 - 10:33 AM

You might be running too many security programs, many kick into high gear when you are online, that's by design

what are your running processes?

It's against forum rules to post a hijackthis log in any forum but that one.

Catch 22

Have you tried any scans from safe mode and a good cleaner like ATFCleaner

Here's a guide to SAS and atf and safe mode

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=948894

make sure you run atf as administrator
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 Dborns

Dborns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 24 September 2008 - 03:05 PM

Hello
Thank you for your reply. I did run ATFCleaner a couple of days ago. I have not run any programs in safe mode. Should I try an AVG scan in safe? I did recently hook my xbox 360 data cable up to the modem that the computer is hooked to, but I wouldn't think that would be a problem. I have read that having to many "svchost"'s running in your processes could be a problem and right now I have 13 of them running. Most of them are around 5,000K but there is 1 at 20,000, 1 at 50,000, and 1 at 60,000 along with my "iexplore" at 70,000. That doesn't seem right to me. Any ideas?

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 24 September 2008 - 03:19 PM

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb896653.aspx

processexplorer will tell you what each service is being controlled by

It's very advanced tho

Vista has a lot of services running
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users