Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Search 4.0 Won't Index File Contents

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gnarlytom

gnarlytom

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 24 September 2008 - 08:58 AM

I am running XP SP3 and i cannot get windows search 4.0 to index my microsoft word and PDF file contents. Is this possible? For example i want to be able to type 'angina' into my search box, and it will find every word/pdf document with angina in the text. Currently it only finds them if this is in the title.

I have been to options > advanced > file types, and checked that .doc, .docx, and .pdf all have 'index file properties and contents' ticked.

I have also waited so that the indexing process now says 'indexing finished'.

I have also checked that the indexer is indexing the correct locations where these files are stored. The indexer is able to index the contents of my emails, but it seems not my word documents. it is very frustrating!!

Look forward to any help,
Tom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2008 - 09:40 AM

The Windows Search 4.0 function...is not the same as the XP Indexing function.

You're the 2d person I've seen who even bothered to install Search 4.0, which is really designed for Vista but has been made available to XP-users.

In any case, I'd try uninstalling it...reinstalling it.

Louis

#3 gnarlytom

gnarlytom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2008 - 09:51 AM

Hi, thanks for the quick reply,

ive realised that windows xp has its own built in indexing, but i'm using 4.0 indexer. I have tried uninstalling and re-installing already.

I have also tried downloading iFilters, but i'm not sure if i even need these. They havn't made any difference anyway.

is it supposed to automatically index the contents of these files?

Tom

Edited by gnarlytom, 24 September 2008 - 09:54 AM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 25 September 2008 - 10:27 AM

I have no need for Windows Search 4.0, but have found that this link will answer quite a few questions about it: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/...es/techfaq.mspx
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users