Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Msn Keeps Disconnected

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 annon

annon

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 24 September 2008 - 07:13 AM

My friend has Windows XP.

She keeps disconnected from MSN service a short while after signed in. She is using her laptop and wirelessly connected to a router. She told me her wilreless signal is excellent. She already updated her computer and anti virus and scanned her computer for infection but the problem persists. What could be the problem? thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 24 September 2008 - 08:00 AM

Is this for MSN Messenger?

Is she having any other issues in regards to internet connection, web pages not always loading etc?

Does she notice her WLAN light going out or flashing once connected?

Has she tried a wired connection to the router - try as a test (if possible)

Next i would advise to uninstall MSN and then download and installing a fresh and see if that resolves the issue.

E-Mu
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#3 annon

annon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 25 September 2008 - 12:58 AM

i just remembered. Her laptop also disconnected from the network not just MSN messenger..

#4 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 25 September 2008 - 05:53 AM

Does she have any cordless phones near the router? if so try turning these off and then seeing if the connection drops.

Try changing the channel on the router? if your not sure how to do this reply with the make and model of the router and i'll post instructions.

Also if you can find out what security she has on the wireless. If WPA try changing to WEP and see if that helps.

Instructions on how to change security and channel should also be in the manual if thats lying about.

E-Mu
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users