Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spambully And Outlook Express

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 duckfeet

duckfeet

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 24 September 2008 - 01:39 AM

I wanted an app that would *bounce* email, and spambully works fine, so far, and was the type of spampreventer that I wanted...*but* I noticed that now, whenever I click on "send and receive" email--in OE--and there *is* mail, Outlook Express immediately says it has to shut down...and does...

Once it has shut down, I can re-open it, and deal w/the email, and I've looked in accounts and settings for any obvious answer, which I could not find...so I wondered if anybody else has this problem: that whenever OE downloads email, it has to shut down...??? This just started today, after downloaded spambully...

Thanks in advance: have searched and benefited often from this site, and this is my first question...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 24 September 2008 - 01:07 PM

If you are fed up with getting spam mail ( we ALL get spam from time to time ) why not try this little ap instead?

http://www.mailwasher.net/

It will check mail on server and you have the choice to delete and blacklist from server before you download WANTED mails to your machine

wanted an app that would *bounce* email,

PLEASE do NOT bounce any e mails; this not only confirms your e mail addy as active but cloggs up an already overloaded system :thumbsup:

#3 duckfeet

duckfeet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 24 September 2008 - 01:30 PM

I did have mailwasher, and found it problematic, for me, anyway...I like the idea, and might try it again, but I got frustrated, as I couldn't seem to get it to quit asking me for passwords and stuff...and a few other doodads I didn't like, and I have my accounts set up fine, so it wasn't that, something in their proxy server that caused it...

And I understand your dislike of bouncing...I actually get very little spam, and only "bounce" it when I think it's appropriate, or necessary...which is why I like apple's mail program, where it was built in...and I refer to the old-fashione def of "bouncing" which is where it bounces back as tho there were "nobody home" and belive me, the system is already way clogged up by spammers, and I feel whatever *we* do is, just a drop in the bucket...my "bouncing" is mostly for banks and others, who have convoluted, hidden, "privacy" info, and I don't feel I really want to take the time to study it, decipher it, and then email them *asking* to take me off their list...hence, the "bounce"...but I don't bounce msgs from foreign countrys or obviously screwed up addys...I know the drill, there...

spambully is serving it's purpose, adequately, and I moved back from thunderbird to Outlook Express, just to try a few of these spam preventers, as I myself am pretty proactive, and careful, and don't get muc...

But my step-dad is 94, and just doesn't quite understand, that just because the email talks about Elvis Presly, or WWII, that it is still spam...and so I want to try a few of them out, then install on his...

If I keep one for me, it will probably be that one where you are linked in w/a group who is constantly updating list of spammers...I forget the name...

Whew: longwinded post :-( sorry, everybody) thankyou for your reply!

If you are fed up with getting spam mail ( we ALL get spam from time to time ) why not try this little ap instead?

http://www.mailwasher.net/

It will check mail on server and you have the choice to delete and blacklist from server before you download WANTED mails to your machine

wanted an app that would *bounce* email,

PLEASE do NOT bounce any e mails; this not only confirms your e mail addy as active but cloggs up an already overloaded system :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users