Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Periodically Freezes

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mdk5000000

mdk5000000

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 23 September 2008 - 09:46 PM

Hi all, I've had a problem with my laptop freezing up periodically. I'm seeing the resource usage hit 97% under processes on the task manager, and under the performance tab I can see a spike on the CPU usage history coinciding with it. but, I can't tell what program is spiking, cause at that point the computer kind of freezes for a moment, then continues functioning. This doesn't occur so often now, probably spikes every minute or so. What I've noticed though is that these freezes seem to coincide with what I'm assuming is my cooling fan starting up. I've tried a scandisk and defrag, and that hasn't changed things. Cleaned it of dust as well. I've already gotten my laptop recently cleaned of malware over in the hijackthis malware removal forum, and the freezes are still occuring. Specs of my laptop:

Microsoft Windows XP, Media Center Edition version 2002, Service Pack 2
Dell XPS MXC051
Intel Pentium M processor 1.73 GHz
0.99 GB RAM

If Any more information is needed to solve this problem, please let me know. I still use my laptop, but it's still pretty annoying. Hope to hear a reply soon, and thanks to anyone taking the time to read this!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Box In A Bag

Box In A Bag

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 24 September 2008 - 12:32 AM

How long have you had the laptop?

Laptops have the tendency to overheat, however in a case like yours, there is just a wide variety of things causing this..perhaps a specific process activating itself than not. Or it could be a overheating CPU from age, this could possibly be the cause of your fans spinning up, but most likely the cause for that is the cpu usage causing the cpu to push itself and get hot causing the fans to spin faster. Many things, but we can try to talk our way through it and try to find the source :thumbsup:
Posted Image
Intel Core2Duo E8400 wolfdale 3.0GHz OC'd to 3.8GHz 38C/39C maximum,

---Call 9-1-1 for emergencies.... or just post at Bleeping Computer---
------------Your friendly CVCOG 9-1-1 Network Administrator-----------

#3 mdk5000000

mdk5000000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 24 September 2008 - 01:10 AM

I've had this laptop for almost 3 years now. Have I hit the life span limit for my laptop? T.T

#4 Box In A Bag

Box In A Bag

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 24 September 2008 - 01:13 AM

Sadly it is possible that parts of your laptop may have, I will gather some information about your laptop and specific parts and read reviews. Computers are usually rated at 2-3 years of life before becoming "obsolete" however that does not mean they should be completely dead.

I will get back with more information.
Posted Image
Intel Core2Duo E8400 wolfdale 3.0GHz OC'd to 3.8GHz 38C/39C maximum,

---Call 9-1-1 for emergencies.... or just post at Bleeping Computer---
------------Your friendly CVCOG 9-1-1 Network Administrator-----------

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 24 September 2008 - 01:16 AM

Have a look in the Event Viewer for any errors at the time of the freezes.

To open the Event Viewer go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer. Alternately, go to Start > Run and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Check in all the categories.

If you find an error that occurred at the time right-click on it and select properties. Copy the information in the window and post it back here. This will help us diagnose your problem.

How To Use the Event Viewer
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:21 AM

Take your lap top in for a good cleaning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users