Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help With Crashing Problem

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Dr. Cox

Dr. Cox

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 23 September 2008 - 07:52 PM

Hi. Tried searching for help on this elsewhere but can't find anything so just checking if anyone here has had this problem.

Computer keeps crashing after around 20 minutes. I don't know if crashing is the right word actually, maybe locking up is better. It lasts for between 1 minute and 2 then comes back, sometimes for a few minutes and sometimes for only seconds. Makes it pretty much unable to use.

I thought it was just when using firefox so tried uninstalling extensions and then just keeping 1 tab open incase it was overloading my memory but even that doesn't seem to be stopping it.

Tried a few antivirus spyware programs but they never complete the initial check due to the continuous crashing.

Thanks for any help in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 23 September 2008 - 08:03 PM

Have a look in the Event Viewer for any errors at the time of the freezes.

To open the Event Viewer go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer. Alternately, go to Start > Run and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Check in all the categories.

If you find an error that occurred at the time right-click on it and select properties. Copy the information in the window and post it back here. This will help us diagnose your problem.

How To Use the Event Viewer
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Dr. Cox

Dr. Cox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2008 - 08:25 PM

Just seems to say application hangup for firefox mostly with a few for IE and Spybot on their own.

Someone on another OTF forum mentioned about checking task manager as i said my computer had been running slower for a while and was looking to purchase more.

These are 2 screengrabs and it does seem that firefox is taking up way way more than it should. Thats with only 2 tabs open and i used to be able to have loads open comfortably..

Task Manager

Performance

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 23 September 2008 - 09:02 PM

Try reinstalling Firefox:
  • Download a fresh copy of Firefox and save it.
  • Save your bookmarks by exporting them using the Bookmark Manager menu.
  • Uninstall Firefox Using Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs.
  • Delete the Firefox directory under Mozilla in the Program Files directory.
  • Delete the Firefox directory under the Application Data directory in your user profile.
  • Reinstall Firefox using the download from Step 1.
  • Use the Bookmark Manager menu to import the bookmarks you saved in Step 2.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 hd1912

hd1912

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 23 September 2008 - 09:06 PM

Have you tried booting up into safemode and running the spyware programs you have loaded up? Also you should run a HiJackThis while in safemode and post it. Have you recently made any changes to your system? software or hardware? If all else fails i would just system restore. It seems like an easy fix.

#6 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 24 September 2008 - 10:01 PM

Hi Dr. Cox, Sorry to hear about your problem.

While I can't offer you a solution to your problem, I can say that if I were I you... I think that I would try following the advice that Budapest left for you to try. Please to notice their classification under their Avatar --> Group: BC Adviser.

hd1912 said --> "Also you should run a HiJackThis while in safemode and post it." I'm not sure about this but I think that HJT logs are supposed to be run while in normal Windows.

However, I am sure that as the HJT team stays way busy it would be better if you were to simply open a new topic here --> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/ State your problem there just as you did when you opened this topic, and ask for help there...

but DO NOT go posting a HJT or COMBO FIX log there unless you are instructed to do so by a HJT Team member, Moderate, or Admin person.

Good luck,

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 25 September 2008 - 03:10 PM

I noticed some recent problems with the TeaTimer in SpyBot Search & Destroy. I'd suggest uninstalling SpyBot and rebooting to see if the problem recurs.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Dr. Cox

Dr. Cox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2008 - 05:57 PM

Thanks for the replies.

The computer no longer seems to be crashing but the memory still seems to be used up and the computer is slow and struggles badly when attempting to use more than 1 program.

Done all that Budapest recommended. That doesn't seem to have fixed it. I'm not sure it is directly a Firefox problem as i have tried using other programs on their own such as IE and media player etc for example and all go through a similar pattern. No matter what program i am using it seems to hog the CPU percentage which i don't think is right. I don't have an awful lot of memory on my computer but i don't think it's that small to be causing this affect? Didn't seem to over the past year or 2 anyway.

I looked at the HiJack this forum for the guides of anti-virus/anti-spyware programs to try and went through most of them, caught a few trojans and some ad aware but nothing to fix this.

I'll try the other forum you mentioned though, thanks. One other fault i've been noticing, not sure if it's anything to do with this or not but:

When i'm shutting down i always get a popup saying 'Windows Cannot End This Program - c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe' forcing me to pick end this now.

Thanks again for the replies.

Edited by Dr. Cox, 28 September 2008 - 05:58 PM.

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 29 September 2008 - 08:08 AM

If its slow and sluggish have you tried cleaning your computer out? Heat caused by dust building can cause slow and sluggish behavior which can result in weird crashes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users