Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dns Problem Maybe....maybe Not.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 23 September 2008 - 07:20 PM

I'm having a strange problem with connecting to the internet. I live in a dormitory at a university. Occasionally, moreso now, I try to connect to the web and I get a Page Load Error in Firefox after it says "Looking up xxxx" in the status bar. It does this with all webpages. The only exception to this is Skype. I can still make Skype calls during the problem. I can usually get the internet back by going into the Local Area Connection Status page and clicking "Disable" followed by "enable" after all connections are closed. I get web access back for a few minutes after that. I did some checking and discovered that when I'm not connected, my IPv4 DNS server is 10.0.0.1 but while connected there are three IP addresses and none are 10.0.0.1. I tried turning off IPv6, but I don't think that is the problem. I can connect to the internet just fine through Ubuntu.

Screenshots. Note: After this problem is fixed I will delete the shots.

During the Problem
After the Problem

Edited by DJBPace07, 23 September 2008 - 09:33 PM.

3939.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2008 - 08:17 PM

Your IP address is within a 64.80.128.x range and that includes your IP, default gateway, DHCP server.
In the first picture, it appears that you have just one DNS server, several hops away, possibly relayed by the 64.80.128.x router to another, possibly relayed to another, WAN router at 10.0.0.1 for its DNS information.
That DNS Server might be down.
Your second screen shot looks better to me in that it shows 3 DNS servers.
How does it all compare to ipconfig /all information presented in the cmd prompt (Start > Run > cmd and ask for ipconfig /all)?

Is there a firewall on the computer? What kind? Considering that you're able to so easily restore a connection, I suspect that you're just losing a connection to the DNS servers attempts at maintaining the connection as something might be blocking. And quite often this requires a bit of firewall tweaking - such as permit the connections with DNS servers, or in ZA-speak, add DNS servers to the trusted zone, etc in order to prevent a firewall from killing the existing connection.

Don't worry about IPv6. It's in use, but very, very little. The normal use is what we're all accustomed to, IPv4. You can actually disable IPv6 in the TCP/IP properties till we all need it a year or two or three from now.

Skype might be ok because you have, someplace, hardcoded IP and port, so it doesn't have to go searching DNS servers.

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2008 - 09:38 PM

The CMD prompt with the ipconfig command displays what is in the screen shots, only in a command line interface. I once used the Kaspersky Internet Security suite with its firewall, but it was buggy and BSOD'd my PC so I ditched it and went to the Windows Firewall. Even with the firewall off and the PC restarted, the problem persisted. The only way to reestablish a web connection is to disable then re-enable the connection. Is there any way that I can lock in the functioning DNS servers so I can keep my connection? Turning off IPv6 allows me to stay connected longer for some reason. In Vista, if you hover over the network icon, it will say "currently connected to" followed by a network. With IPv6 turned off, I'm only connected to a single network. With it on, I somehow end up connected to about six to ten over the course of a day.

3939.png

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2008 - 11:37 PM

I was able to lock in my DNS address into Vista. Since I did that, the problem has gone away. I have since deleted my images.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users