Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

P43-neo3-f Bios Oc Wall? Bsod

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Box In A Bag

Box In A Bag

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 23 September 2008 - 06:47 PM

Well here is the computer default spec's:

PSU: Corsair VX450W 33A ~ 12V
Mobo: MSI P43 NEO3-F
CPU: Intel E8400 Core2Duo 3.0GHz
RAM: MemoryPower 2GB DDR2 800
GPU: Visiontek ATI Radeon HD 3650
HDD: MAXTOR 500 GB 7200RPM
Optical: ASUS DVDRW

Ok so heres my success story so far.

I recently upgraded the BIOS to V1.4. After that I removed the JB1 and 2 jumpers on my mobo (allowing me to have 333~400 MHz FSB, the FSB 1600 OC JUMPER!!!! lol) I then was able to accomplish a successful overclock of the E8400 to 3.61GHz.

Here are my settings and temperatures:

Multi-step OC: Mode1
DOT Control: disabled
intelEIST: disabled
intel CSTATE Tech: disabled
CPU FSB: 410
CPU freq: 3600
Multiplier: 9

ADVANCED DRAM

Timings: I left everything to Auto
DRAM Ratio: 1:1.00 1600:800
DRAM Freq: 820

Clock Gen - Default
PCI Freq: Default
Disable DRAM/PCI: enabled

CPU Voltage: 1.3300
DRAM: 1.908
MCH: 1.100
VTT FSB: 1.25
ICH: 1.50

Spread Spectrum: Disabled

Real Temp temps: idle 33 and 33; max. 38 and 39

So that seems to be the highest I can get it. I have been able to push the CPU FSB to 445 but it would give me a Last overclock failed so I went to the BIOS and disabled the system hang when there is an error, but it would just BSOD when windows started. I read about a wall at 417, but I cannot get it passed 410, at 413 I can get it to log in then immediately BSOD, multiple different BSOD's. This is the only way to keep it stable. So my question is, does anyone know of any way to get around the wall or any other settings that you believe should be changed.

Also I had to go through hell to get this new 1.4V BIOS to work properly, my 1.1V worked just fine, but I dont want to mess with a downgrade. My first problem was no startup, even after CMOS flash, I had to go barebones to get a startup and then install my HDD and second stick of RAM. My next problem was a BSOD immediately after log in (with default settings). The resolution to that was to disable the JMICRON IDE thing. Everything works fine now, no thanks to MSI Support.

Any advice or suggestions is very much appreciated :thumbsup:

Edited by Box In A Bag, 23 September 2008 - 06:48 PM.

Posted Image
Intel Core2Duo E8400 wolfdale 3.0GHz OC'd to 3.8GHz 38C/39C maximum,

---Call 9-1-1 for emergencies.... or just post at Bleeping Computer---
------------Your friendly CVCOG 9-1-1 Network Administrator-----------

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2008 - 08:03 PM

You'll most likely need to raise the cpu voltage. Don't do too much at a time, and if you go way over board, you can cause some serious damage to the cpu/motherboard. I would say raise it about .01V at a time, but at first you may need to bump it up at least .05V before you notice it helping. Also, it is recommended not to raise that cpu's voltage over 1.45 (and I'd say that's probably a good number to follow for other processors too). If after a while you see no signs of improvement, you may have reached the limits for the processor too. Sometimes you might just get unlucky and get a certain chip that doesn't overclock well. Hopefully this helps you out!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 Box In A Bag

Box In A Bag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2008 - 08:53 PM

Hmmm, that is something I should try, I am hoping there may just be something everyone is overlooking that is stopping them from reaching passed 417 but I doubt. It would be nice to reach 415-417
Posted Image

#4 Box In A Bag

Box In A Bag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2008 - 11:43 PM

Well here is some results...SO FAR.

I was able to get my processor up to 3.725 GHz (says the BIOS and RealTemp), however, the my computer properties says 3.01????

Ok so yeh thats that for now, I amped my voltage to 1.38V on the cpu. SpeedFan says I am running at 1.35V on my Vcore and 1.38 on the VChipset, i can give more but I am sure it is not necessary. Any reason for the wrong cpu speed in my computer properties???

Do you think it is safe to proceed to the next step, real temp says I am still running at a cold 33C on both, but speedfan states otherwise. Saying that I am running 38C on cores 0 and 1 at idle, and 49C on both at maximum load. The way it seems with the accurate changing of the speedfan, I think speedfan may be the more accurate utility.

So safe to continue? and why the wrong speeds in my computer properties?
Posted Image

#5 Box In A Bag

Box In A Bag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2008 - 12:32 PM

I am very satisfied so far with the overall performance, I tested teh computer in Crysis on high and reached a max temp of 50C on 0 and 49C on 1. I also held a pretty stable average of 17 FPS, so all in all pretty impressed, I would like ot eventually try seeing what I can get out of the card, but haven't tried yet.

Still waiting to here form others if the voltage to temperature is a safe combo to continue.
Posted Image

#6 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2008 - 03:41 PM

I would say it's safe to continue to raise the voltage slightly. As I said before you don't want to go over 1.45V, and you may want to stay at around 1.42V max unless you are sure you know what you're doing. Anyway, if you really do go too far, the system should just not post and will be fine once you reset the cmos (I've done this before :thumbsup: ).

Also, about the computer detecting the processor speed running slower, it may have the feature on (I forget what it's called) that underclocks the processor while idling. This is good of course because it keeps the processor cooler, and uses less power while it's not needed. Run a game for a few minutes then check the processor speed. If you don't like this feature, I'm pretty sure you can turn it off in the bios.

Lastly, I'd say your temperatures are pretty good. Heck, mine run at around 50c idle, and get up to the high 60s, low 70's underload. That's not good but my case is poorly ventilated and I'm using cheap thermal paste.

While overclocking, just because the processor's not hot doesn't mean it's not being worked too hard either. If you notice some weird thing's start to happen, such as system hang-ups and BSOD's, you may want to undo it a bit.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#7 Box In A Bag

Box In A Bag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2008 - 05:52 PM

Yeh I was aware of that feature and was leaning toward it as well, I will have ot check it out. As of the overclocking I believe I am going to shoot for 415 next, the current settings are 413 and 1.3675V in the bios, I am going to try to push the cpu to 415 and voltage to 1.38V hopefully I dont hit a wall :thumbsup:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users