Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying To Install Xp Home On New Hd

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 333nnn

333nnn

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 23 September 2008 - 05:52 PM

Compaq Presario 5000, Model 5BW220, Intel Celeron, 06c0 motherboard, made 7/15/00, WD Caviar SE 320G HD.

I'm trying to install XP Home on a new hard drive with an OEM installation CD. I'm able to get through the partitioning and formatting, but when the installation automatically reboots part way through the process the only screen that comes back up is the original screen with the message: "Press any key to boot from the CD. A disk read error occurred. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart". If I do press the spacebar from this screen the installation just starts from the beginning again. I can't get past the partitioning and formatting steps. Someone suggested to remove the installation disk just before or after the reboot, but this made no difference. The hard drive and dvd burner are new as are the IED cables and burner cable. I tried installing with an old burner but that didn't work either. All the connections are secure. I checked them several times. Also, I believe I had the burner set as the master and the HD set as the slave and cable select, and both the burner and HD attached to separate IED cables and both set as master and the HD set at the single setting that is with no jumper. None of this made any difference. The HD installation CD does not work either. It gets part way into the installation then stops. A tech guy tested the HD installation CD, and it worked for him. Most people have said that I don't need to use the HD installation CD in order to install the o/s. Is this true? The tech guy also tested the HD and said it was fine. He did not test my Windows installation CD. I have tried installing with this Home installation cd several times, so each time I try now I get a message saying that the o/s already exists and that it's not recommended to install another o/s on the same partition. Should I just ignore this message each time I try to install? The burner, HD and floppy are all listed in the bios. I've tried booting from both the burner and floppy drive set as number one in the sequence. Someone said that my problem sounded like the Home installation cd is scratched or damaged in some way. Should I check it in another computer, and if it is bad how do I replace it? I don't believe XP Home is being supplied anyomore.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 perr

perr

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 23 September 2008 - 06:17 PM

I will give it a go. Hdd on the ide cable as master, end of the ribbon, cd burner as slaved. Check jumpers. Remove all periphials, sound card, modem, etc, and all but one stick of memory. XP is very sensitive to bad cards and memory. If it stops again replace memory module. After install is complete replace periphials one at a time. Try washing the xp disk in warm soapy water and rinse to clean it. dry across, not around the disk.

Edited by perr, 23 September 2008 - 06:18 PM.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 23 September 2008 - 06:54 PM

Instructions here:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...p;product=93691
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Box In A Bag

Box In A Bag

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 23 September 2008 - 07:39 PM

If what all Perr says you may have a faulty optical drive. I Have had this problem myself and I had to test 4 different drives before getting one that worked, just so happened the one that worked was a brand new one my friend bought a week before all this happened. So it could very well be that you ahve two drives that just cant do it.
Posted Image
Intel Core2Duo E8400 wolfdale 3.0GHz OC'd to 3.8GHz 38C/39C maximum,

---Call 9-1-1 for emergencies.... or just post at Bleeping Computer---
------------Your friendly CVCOG 9-1-1 Network Administrator-----------

#5 hd1912

hd1912

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 23 September 2008 - 09:26 PM

Sounds like its the disc or the cd drive. More than likely the disc. I find it hard to believe that the HDD or Optical are bad, its happened but rare. I would check out the disc on another hdd if you have one. If it installs then swap the optical drive.

#6 ebmp19

ebmp19

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 24 September 2008 - 01:51 AM

have fun doing that, microsoft are ery picky with there software, it will probably stuff up with errors becuase you installed it on a different hard drive

#7 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 September 2008 - 02:20 AM

You could try this?

Because it is an OEM Disk, but very Legal, M$ gets real Fussy, it is supposedly for new Machines.

Drain your CSMOS, instructions below, that reverts your Computer back to Factory in Upper Memory and will need a Date and Time Change in the Bios first, easily done. Post if you need Instructions?

To Drain the CSMOS. Open up the side and look for the Coin shaped Battery? Near it you will see a Jumper? After disconnecting all power from the Computer and from the PSU to the Motherboard move the Jumper from pins 1 and 2 to pins 2 and 3 for about a minute. Hook it back to Pins 1and 2 then Hook it back from the Motherboard to PSU, then to the Power, got into BIOS then change Date and Time to Current.

When the Disk Boots up, Format the Drive to NTFS, Then Install XP Home. (Edit, I forgot to add this)

Note, During install when it pops up on reboot, do nothing when it asks about pressing any key, let it proceed.

One further thing, don't try to Validate it for at least a Week?

Actually the same thing does apply to a Reinstall of XP, just a work around for it. M$ Looks into Upper Memory, CSMOS to assertain what was previously installed. Some Viruses/Malware lodge in CSMOS with Deadly Effect, they just keep doing their thing even on Reformat and Reinstall.

Until the CSMOS is Drained, no Computer truelly returns to Factory Status. Upper Memory, CSMOS, is totally ignored by most people today, IMHO.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Abacus 7, 24 September 2008 - 10:20 AM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,553 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2008 - 09:30 AM

FWIW: Just a reminder for all: There are 2 types of "OEM disks".

a. Boxmaker (Dell, Gateway, HP, etc.) versions which used to be provided with the systems they sell, but have recently (last few years) often been replaced by Recovery Disks or partitions.

b. Microsoft OEM (System Builder) CDs or DVDs, available to anyone who assembles a system (like many of us).

The only difference between the MS OEM CDs and the retail Windows CDs (as far as content is concerned) is...there is no difference :thumbsup:. Both install or repair a same version.

A MS OEM version of XP expects to find one hard drive...which is bare (no other partitions) to clean install upon. Anything other than that with an OEM CD may result in unnecessary frustration.

Sooo...if the OP truly has a new (not transferred from another system) hard drive with nothing on it, the XP CD should go through the create/format/install thing with no hesitation.

Unless the CD/DVD used for the install is dirty, unreadable or the hard drive has problems.

Louis

#9 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 September 2008 - 10:13 AM

a. Boxmaker (Dell, Gateway, HP, etc.) versions which used to be provided with the systems they sell, but have recently (last few years) often been replaced by Recovery Disks or partitions.

b. Microsoft OEM (System Builder) CDs or DVDs, available to anyone who assembles a system (like many of us).

The only difference between the MS OEM CDs and the retail Windows CDs (as far as content is concerned) is...there is no difference :flowers:. Both install or repair a same version.

A MS OEM version of XP expects to find one hard drive...which is bare (no other partitions) to clean install upon. Anything other than that with an OEM CD may result in unnecessary frustration.

Sooo...if the OP truly has a new (not transferred from another system) hard drive with nothing on it, the XP CD should go through the create/format/install thing with no hesitation.

Unless the CD/DVD used for the install is dirty, unreadable or the hard drive has problems.

Louis

Certainly no disrespect to Louis, hamluis, What was said is the Text Book of what it really is.

It gets like that in many Industries? The Text Book says this and that?

Yet on Site, it just doesn't work?

My Post above is a Legal Workaround, found out the Hard way?

Try it?

:thumbsup:

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 24 September 2008 - 10:56 AM

The only difference between the MS OEM CDs and the retail Windows CDs (as far as content is concerned) is...there is no difference :thumbsup: . Both install or repair a same version.

Louis

Also XP OEM Keys cannot be used on XP Retail Installs and vice versa. Home Keys cannot be used on Pro installs and vice versa.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,553 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:05 AM

Not disputing anything said, Abacus7...just trying to clarify from my experience with my MS OEM CDs/licenses :thumbsup:.

OP states "OEM installation CD". To my knowledge, Compaq has never issued an XP CD of any kind to purchasers of their systems, preferring to go the route of "restore/recovery" partitions or CDs.

http://discussions.virtualdr.com/showthread.php?t=185467

Such are not "OEM installation CDs", IMO.

Louis

#12 jasper2424

jasper2424

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 24 September 2008 - 06:22 PM

nice one abacus :thumbsup:

Was having a problem booting up a (very) old system (8 years old, running wind' 98!! :trumpet: ), kept coming up with
"boot up failure... place restore disc in drive A"
tried everything to get it to boot, nothing worked, tried old HDD in newer comp', didn't work. so bought a new HDD (Ebuyer 25), put new drive in... formatted it....started to install XP PRO from disc, everytime it rebooted it started trying to format the HDD again! :inlove:
saw your post.... couldn't find the jumper you suggested so replaced the "coin battery"...and.........hey presto!!!!
booted up first time, installed XP PRO (1 or 2 problems but, i think the disc is a bit scratched as it couldn't install some files, all from D:\i386 :flowers: ) but seems to be working without the missing files.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,553 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 24 September 2008 - 06:50 PM

Nice going...did you actually replace the CMOS battery with a new one...or simply remove it for a few seconds?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users