Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clean Up

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 perr

perr

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 23 September 2008 - 05:40 PM

Neat program to clean your hdd. It has options so please review the read me and options functions.

http://www.stevengould.org/index.php?Itemi...t&task=view

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 23 September 2008 - 07:01 PM

It looks like this is another registry cleaning tool, and the usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results". Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 perr

perr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 23 September 2008 - 08:11 PM

You should read before making a judgement. It has nothing to do with the registry. Don't respond to something you have no knowledge of. Thx.

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,962 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 23 September 2008 - 10:51 PM

Hello perr,

Yes, that is a neat utility for getting rid of temp. files and to aid in protecting one's privacy if so desired. It's already listed in this thread: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html in post #2 under Web Browsing Utilities 2nd entry down. :flowers:

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 wombat_1945

wombat_1945

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 24 September 2008 - 12:14 AM

Neat program to clean your hdd. It has options so please review the read me and options functions.

http://www.stevengould.org/index.php?Itemi...t&task=view

Thanks perr, another great find to add to the tool box... 8)
Wombat's: Bulldozers of the bush...

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 24 September 2008 - 12:25 AM

You should read before making a judgement. It has nothing to do with the registry. Don't respond to something you have no knowledge of. Thx.

Actually, it is advertised as "Steven R. Gould ... Registry Fix can Restore & Clean Up Windows Registry Files" which to me implies that it is a registry tool.

The fact that it is listed as one of our freeware applications was indeed lost on me, my concern is the fact that registry cleaners can be far more damaging than beneficial to those that don't read, understand, and backup their registry before using the application.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users