Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Create Acronis Secure Zone

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cioran

cioran

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 23 September 2008 - 04:48 PM

Hi,

I was wondering if this sounded familiar...?

I used the trial version of Acronis TI 11, and being new to the whole thing, did stuff in the wrong order (the Help section isn't obsessively pedagogical to my mind, but these things happen).

I first did a full backup (image?) of my PC, saved as a .tib file on an external HD.
I've come to learn since then that I should have created a recovery disc first thing, but the upside is I have found excellent instructions on how to do that.

The problem came with the Secure Zone, which Acronis TI repeatedly failed to create. It gathered what it needed (just my C drive, no previous partitions in it that I'm aware of) and promised to create a SZ in a hidden partition as soon as I rebooted.
Three times this failed.

I never got as far as a splash screen or similar, just an 'active' blue screen (at reboot) saying Acronis was working, then an Error message saying it had failed, after which reboot continued after I had told it to proceed with an 'Ignore' option, since the 'Retry' one failed.
Acronis wanted to use FAT32 for the SZ, btw, don't know if this would be an issue on an NTFS drive?
In any event, the 24GB or so it wanted for the SZ are now AWOL, and all I have is a message saying it was for no good...

I haven't seen this particular issue addressed at the A. user's forum, although mention has been made of hidden Goback (or similar Norton/Symantec software) folders messing things up.
A colorful view from WinDirStat proclaims I have about 20GB of those under Recycler>NProtect, which had been invisible until then.

Problem is, if I feel confident that the SZ issue can be handled, I wouldn't mind using Acronis, but my trial period has expired (I was busy).

Basically this is a lengthy way of asking whether the Recyler files are the probable culprit, or if the problem is another common one which can be solved easily.
I don't know if I can get another trial version to test things on, which is rather less than ideal, of course :thumbsup: , although I can give it a shot.

In any event, all advice is most welcome.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 perr

perr

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 23 September 2008 - 05:27 PM

It may be that acronis won't create it in the trial program. I use acronis but only to create clone drives. Great program.

#3 wombat_1945

wombat_1945

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 24 September 2008 - 12:18 AM

You have to have the full version of Acronis to use it's full functions, the demo is just that, a demo.

I hope you did not think you were going to get a free ride with the demo version... :thumbsup:
Wombat's: Bulldozers of the bush...

#4 cioran

cioran
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 24 September 2008 - 04:38 AM

Oh, no, no free rides expected.

However, I think it might be a very good idea to try something out before purchasing - and I think it would be a very good idea for Acronis to make clear which functions will and will not work in a demo version, rather than have the demo go through the motions (at some length) and then give an entirely unqualified error message; at the moment I'm inclined to think it's an unwieldy and possibly buggy soft - a pity for Acronis if I won't spend my shekels on TI 11 simply because they're sloppy with info, no :thumbsup: ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users