Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Combofix Problems....

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 RayM

RayM

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 23 September 2008 - 02:57 PM

I started following directions in another forum (Major Geeks). The links they ask you to follow first are here and then followed up by following their suggestions for Windows XP Cleanup as told to do here.

So I did so and all that turned up was an ad-aware in Spybot and 4 virtu-mundos in malwarebytes. You can see my post awaiting a reply in that forum here. I then went and followed the directions for running combofix from here to a tee. The program ran and then shut down at around Stage 31. It said it had found something wrong and needed to reboot. It did so and now stays in a perpetual reboot. I tried starting XP and it reboots. I tried safe mode and it reboots. I tried last known good configuration and it reboots. The only thing I can do is get into recovery mode but I have no idea what to do from there.

The screenshot in recovery mode says:

1: C:\WINDOWS

Which Windows installation would you like to log into (To cancel, press ENTER)?

So this is where I'm at. This is my work computer so I am out of commission for the time being. I came to this forum because I have not received a reply over on Major Geeks and the program (combofix) instructions are listed over here. Please help me and thank you in advance.

Ray

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2008 - 04:05 PM

Did you install the recovery console as directed?

Have you tried running system restore from a command prompt?

http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_...stem_restor.htm

Running combofix without expert supervision is not reccomended here on in the guide hosted here
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 RayM

RayM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2008 - 04:33 PM

Hi Chewy and thanks for your response. Yes, I did install the recovery console exactly as directed in the link. That is probably the only reason I can get my pc to the recovery console upon start up. When I do go into the recovery mode, this is what is presented:

1: C:\WINDOWS

Which Windows installation would you like to log into (To cancel, press ENTER)?

I don't know where to go from there???

I tried the link you provided and am unable to do a safe mode bootup. When I follow the prompts, my screen is in-undated with a list of drivers and then reboots.

I realize this forum has a protocol and I violated it. I was just following directions on another forum and now no one is responding over there. I don't understand why they would include a combofix step if something so malicious can happen.

Do you have any suggestions as to what I could type into the command prompt shown above in the recovery console to get my pc back up and running? Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Ray

#4 perr

perr

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 23 September 2008 - 05:00 PM

Lots of help here to run system rsestore from the recovery console.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=s...mp;aq=f&oq=

#5 RayM

RayM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2008 - 05:11 PM

Yeah, working through some of those links now....thanks....

#6 perr

perr

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2008 - 05:12 PM

You are welcome.

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2008 - 06:26 PM

if something so malicious can happen

they say about 1 in 100 times, not bad unless you are the one
Chewy

#8 RayM

RayM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2008 - 06:29 PM

After working through some threads elsewhere, I am at a dead end. It looks like my SAM database files are corrupt and there will be no way for me to get a system restore done on the computer. Time for a clean install I guess.

Here's the links I followed in case they can maybe help someone in the future and they are not as infected as my machine was:

1. Fix 1

2. Fix 2

Take care people. Maybe it's time for an Apple. This is the third time this work pc has crashed on me and I'm getting fed up with the bugs, updates, crashes, etc....

#9 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2008 - 06:39 PM

I try to keep a windows cd(generic) with the latest service pack slipstreamed for time like these

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

I was always weak with dos
Chewy

#10 RayM

RayM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:03 AM

You guys have been very helpful thus far and thanks. Now I have another problem. I'm now trying to install Windows XP again and I cannot get past the license agreement page. When I click on F8, nothing happens. Any suggestions or idea as to why this is happening? Is my hard drive shot?

Ray

#11 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:41 AM

ps2 keyboard? not a usb one?

I had a friend try for days and he had a bad F8 key
Chewy

#12 RayM

RayM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2008 - 12:56 PM

No cant be that. I have been able to toggle f8 in recovery console and elsewhere. Chatting with dell for 2 hours and 3 different techs. Swapping hard drives, memory, I'm ready to throw this bleeping computer through a window!!!

#13 RayM

RayM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2008 - 01:23 PM

hard drive failure. new drive is on the way. arrghh.....

#14 perr

perr

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2008 - 02:18 PM

If your data is worth $100 this should recover it. Be aware it may take hous or days ton run depending on the hdd condition.
http://www.grc.com/spinrite.htm

Edited by perr, 24 September 2008 - 02:21 PM.

#15 RayM

RayM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2008 - 02:41 PM

Yeah Dell referred me to these guys: Drive Savers. All they wanted was anywhere from $500 to $2700. Is that all? Let me send it right over.

Luckily most of my data sat on the server. Only thing I really lost were all my softwares (have to reload) and some client folders I had sitting on the desktop. Maybe I'll give SpinRite a shot if I'm missing enough things that it makes it worth it. Thanks for the link.

Edited by RayM, 24 September 2008 - 02:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users