I'm in serious need of some assistance.
I've spent too much time just trying to get windows and IE to work. I've run through the b4 this process of submitting a Hijack this log. It appears that I have no serious infection ala Norton and the "process", but I'm not so sure, bec could not complete Housecall test. I'm currently in safe mode as I write this. I've tried minimizing the items in msconfig to boot leaner, ran cleanmgr numerous times, upon ISP advice: uninstalled SP3 and IE 7, IPconfig was going to 169, not 192, hosts file did not look right, had many "adult content" references but along the way those were lost in Hosts file. (thought maybe they were to block those sites, DNK) When booting windows normally, bandwidth crawls as oppossed to the 6MB speed I s/d have, and do now in safe mode.
Leading up to this...
1) Hard drive would thrash and thrash. - Another forum suggested deleting the MS indexing capability. This doesn't seem right to me. A XP update gave me Search 4.0 and all indexes have been run.
2) Overall system response time is slow and takes many clicks to trigger apps.
HDW = HP Pavilion 750c, 1.8 hz P4, 80 GB ultra dma hd, 512 MB DDR SDRAM
3) When I look at sys manager, the cpu goes to 100% and is especially bad on boot, but does occur at other times.
4) The HP cd writer driver will open and close on it's own. Yes, you read that correctly. If it weren't so sad it'd be funny! Ran check it diags and at one point, indicated mscdex.exe as an issue? DNK how to fix
5) Somewhere along the way I lost Win disk defrag utility ... I don't have access rights???
(FYI - I was monkeying around with my system name and changed it, why, I can't explain, but returning it to original seemed to make Norton o.k. Plus monkeyed w/ Spybot settings FWIW)
Curious, hard drive does not thrash in safe mode and the open / close of drive stopped as well.
I'm ready to go buy a MAC.
Windows has cost me at least as much in time spent tyring to "tweak"/fix just to make it work correctly. I've had it. I don't want to be an XP/Registry/Spyware expert. I need to get stuff done. I've run through my bag and yours of system fixes, but things have gotton worse to the point where safe mode is the only way to operate. I've attached logs for your guidance.
Thanks for any assistance you may provide.
9/24 Malawarebyte found Trojan.Agent and Adware.MyWebSearch, but still have boot issues and speed issues in IE when boot normal.
Edited by jon.e, 24 September 2008 - 09:54 AM.