Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Ram problems

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 The Trip

The Trip

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 27 April 2005 - 07:36 PM

I just installed some new RAM I bought from Circuit City.

I got multiple Blue Screen Windows-Boot Errors

I got funny screen colors, (blue and black stripes with flashing purple circles in the blue stripes).

However, it seemed to get better with every restart, So I kept trying, it got to the point where it was freezing at the pre-login/Post-Windows load screen on Win 2k.

After many restarts, it finally loaded up, and I am now posting this.

One of the blue screen errors, suggested to run a memory check, problem is I dunno how to do a memory check, I know how to do a disk check but not memory.

Also, If I were to restart my computer, does any think I would have to go through all the restarts for it to finally boot up??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2005 - 10:06 PM

Did you make sure and buy the right speed of ram? sometimes that can cause errors, for example......if your computer has 333mhz ram by default then thats the speed ram you need to buy.

Also, sometimes the amount of ram you have needs to be changed in the bios.

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 27 April 2005 - 10:36 PM

You can use Memtest86 to test your memory.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 The Trip

The Trip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2005 - 12:57 PM

Nah, It is the ammount of ram, I checked the model and part number from my old box, and compared it with the new stuff, it was the same.

I dont think I need to change it in my BIOS, its fairly new. It seemed to detect it O.K in the POST Screen. It read the right ammount of MB's, then said OK.

I also know that I am not overloading it, I can hold up to 4GB's and I with the new stuff added on its only 1GB.

Also, thanks tg1911, I will run that when I get home. :thumbsup:

#5 The Trip

The Trip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2005 - 10:23 PM

I ran memtest, and it did find a bunch of errors, I stopped after the first pass however, because I wouldnt know what to do with the errors, nor do I know if they are even fixable, I would highly doubt that they are, because it would be physicall errors (I think).

Should I just take both the sticks back (Since I dont know which one has the probles)?

#6 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2005 - 01:52 AM

Dear Trip,

Yesssssss! Take back the memory before you lose the store warranty. This is best if your system acts funny.

Give us more details of your system? This way we can guide you to the right memory.

After we find out what the problem is, you can buy with assurance.

Let us know,

junkdk :thumbsup:
Your Hardware Guide.

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 30 April 2005 - 09:07 AM

Have you tried the RAM, one stick at a time?
Did you have the same problems with individual sticks?

If so, I would take it back, as junkdk suggested.

What brand of RAM was this (brand name or generic)?
Personally, I would also take it back if it's generic.
Spend the extra money for quality RAM (money well spent).

I would stick with only brand name RAM (Crucial, Kingston, Corsair).
These are reputable companys that stand behind their products. Also,check out the info on
their sites. There's a lot of good information there about RAM, definitely worth the read.
Crucial
Kingston
Corsair

Ram is an area, where you definitely get what you pay for.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 The Trip

The Trip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2005 - 07:58 PM

Ok, I ran the tests on each individual ram stick. I found the faulty RAM, I am going to take it back later today.

I know I got the right memory, It is exactly the same as my other stuff (I built the thing, so I hope I know what im doing).

I had Kingston ValueRAM, I looked around on review sites before I picked a manufacturer, I actually wanted Crucial, but Kingston was cheaper and most reviews for them where good.

**********UPDATE**************

I exchanged the bad RAM. I install it......same problem.....Now Im peeved. So I figure, I somehow accidently got the good ram and the bad ram mixed up, or it is a problem with the ram slot on my motherboard. In a last ditch effort, I go into the bios, and Load Fail-Safe Defaults. It worked...
I tested my memory again, and found no errors, so at least I know I got good RAM. :thumbsup:

Edited by The Trip, 04 May 2005 - 11:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users