Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstalling Windows Xp

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 purplegirl029

purplegirl029

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 23 September 2008 - 07:30 AM

Hello,

I was here Saturday and everyone gave me advice on why the reinstallation of Windows XP might not be working and some websites to try on HOW to reinstall. I spent the day yesterday doing what was advised and after having read the info from the sites - it all boiled down to the same basic instructions - which it turns out I was beyond that point - I had already started the reinstall and done it wrong according to what these sites were saying.

I got into safe mode but when I chose to look at the "C" Drive it just listed a bunch of files and it did not look anything like windows! Every time I booted the PC it just kept going to the screen where it wanted to complete the installation....

SO, I started at square one, got into the BIOS menu by tapping F12 as soon as I turned the machine on choose option 8 and went through every test - yeah that took a long time - the machine PASSED EVERY TEST - so this indicated to me there was nothing wrong with the PC - but how to get out of the cycle of it wanting to keep continung with reinstall I could not figure out - so I assumed the disc had to be bad if all else was working!

SO, I called Dell, thinking they would at the very least send me a new disc, of course the PC is out of warranty, but the gentleman was kind enough to ask me if I tried one other thing - he said this would restore my PC to the way it was the day I received it - I said to him I thought that was what I was doing by uninstalling & reinstalling Windows XP - NOT! Best of here - THEY DID NOT CHARGE ME!!!

The solution was simple:
As soon as you turn on the machine immediately hold the control key and keep tapping the F11 key - a DELL PC RESTORE screen will come up - click on RESTORE - you will get a confirmation screen (warning you will lose all files and data)- click confirm - and it will run it's program.

Once it is complete you will go through a setup during the setup there are 3 IMPORTANT questions that must be answered a specific way:
1. Do you want to turn on automatic updates - ANSWER - NOT AT THIS TIME
2. Do you want to change the name of the Computer - ANSWER - LEAVE IT AS IT IS - just go to next
3. Do you want to Register with Microsoft now? - ANSWER - NOT AT THIS TIME

Once you have completed the set up and the system is up and running you can do the above 3 things.

So I am happy to say the PC is up and running - working great - got a wireless card on order and I am one happy lady!!

Thank you everyone for all your help and advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 23 September 2008 - 07:57 AM

I'm sorry I missed your original post. If I would have seen it I could have saved you some grief
Glad you got it working
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 23 September 2008 - 08:12 AM

Lets all chalk this up to a learning experience.

#4 purplegirl029

purplegirl029
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 23 September 2008 - 08:34 AM

Cryptodan:

Yes it was a learning experience - and I plan on hanging on to those instructions - but hope I never have to use them again!

This whole thing has been a BIG learning experience for me in many ways - I didn't have the forethought to copy my favorites folder like I did everything else! How I'll ever find all those websites again I just don't know.

I lost all my music too - somehow I saved it wrong! But I fortunately kept most of my CDs (I have a play in my craft room) and most of the rest I've have been able to download - my son laughs at me, because I had about 45 cassettes, all of which were numbered & I had written what was on them, they were made back in the early 80s from all the LPs and 45s I had then. So one day I sat down with those sheets of paper and downloaded anything that I didn't have on CDs, dumped the cassettes & threw out the sheets of paper! Some of the music was obscure recordings - and my mind doesn't function well to recall the names - certaintly not the artists! Every once in awhile one will come to me!

Everything is now properly backed up to my external hard drive and uploaded to 3 offline sites - I'm not taking any chances!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users