Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drive Problem...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Zandicot

Zandicot

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 23 September 2008 - 04:36 AM

I have a 500mb Seagate External Hard Drive that seems to suddenly not want to show up on any of my home computers.

The drive fires up etc, on turning it on, but then is not detected on the computer(s), so the drive seems to have not broken.

I have tried My Computer/Manage/Disk Management, where there is no sign of the amentioned drive showing up.

As I have said the drive seems to fire up pysically as normal.

So is the drive no good or is there another way of connecting it, like using some piece of software to hunt it out or force it to show up).Or is it down to butchery & taking the thing apart.

I have connected to computers using both Windows XP & Vista

Any help would be greatly appreciated as the drive has some valuable stuff on it.

Thanx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 23 September 2008 - 06:45 AM

Try the drive with a different system.

Louis

#3 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 24 September 2008 - 07:08 AM

if you don't have another computer see if it shows up on linux https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD download one, burn as image with IMGburn or something like it. and boot up with the cd in the drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users