Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Got Hit With Antivirus Xp 2008

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 featuring.birds

featuring.birds

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 22 September 2008 - 11:37 PM

My girlfriends computer recently got hit with Antivirus XP 2008, which seems to be commonly known, and I am trying to make sure that everything related gets removed. With AV 2008 came "Clearask", which I have disabled so I could follow links without being redirected to their most excellent "search engine"... I'm sure other stuff has been added to the computer as it's running poorly and shutting down at random. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 23 September 2008 - 06:45 AM

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.
  • Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Reagardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 featuring.birds

featuring.birds
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2008 - 09:54 PM

Thanks, followed your instructions and came up with the following results

*********************************************************************************
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.28
Database version: 1211
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

9/26/2008 7:50:11 PM
mbam-log-2008-09-26 (19-50-11).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 45133
Time elapsed: 7 minute(s), 22 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 5
Registry Values Infected: 3
Registry Data Items Infected: 2
Folders Infected: 12
Files Infected: 24

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\rhcg8pj0ev9j

(Rogue.Multiple) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\rhcg8pj0ev9j (Rogue.Multiple) -> Quarantined and deleted

successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\tdssdata (Trojan.Agent) ->

Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\tdss (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Software Notifier (Rogue.Multiple) -> Quarantined and

deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\rhcg8pj0ev9j

(Rogue.AntivirusXP2008) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\originalwallpaper (Hijack.Wallpaper) -> Quarantined

and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\scrnsave.exe (Hijack.Wallpaper) -> Quarantined and

deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\NoDispBackground

Page (Hijack.DisplayProperties) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted

successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\NoDispScrSavPage

(Hijack.DisplayProperties) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:
C:\Program Files\rhcg8pj0ev9j (Rogue.Multiple) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Chelsea Appel\Application Data\rhcg8pj0ev9j (Rogue.Multiple) ->

C:\Documents and Settings\Chelsea Appel\Application Data\rhcg8pj0ev9j\Quarantine

C:\Documents and Settings\Chelsea Appel\Application Data\rhcg8pj0ev9j\Quarantine\Autorun

C:\Documents and Settings\Chelsea Appel\Application

Data\rhcg8pj0ev9j\Quarantine\Autorun\HKCU (Rogue.Multiple) -> Quarantined and deleted

successfully.

Data\rhcg8pj0ev9j\Quarantine\Autorun\HKCU\RunOnce (Rogue.Multiple) -> Quarantined and

deleted successfully.

Data\rhcg8pj0ev9j\Quarantine\Autorun\HKLM (Rogue.Multiple) -> Quarantined and deleted

successfully.

Data\rhcg8pj0ev9j\Quarantine\Autorun\HKLM\RunOnce (Rogue.Multiple) -> Quarantined and

deleted successfully.

Data\rhcg8pj0ev9j\Quarantine\Autorun\StartMenuAllUsers (Rogue.Multiple) -> Quarantined and

deleted successfully.

Data\rhcg8pj0ev9j\Quarantine\Autorun\StartMenuCurrentUser (Rogue.Multiple) -> Quarantined

and deleted successfully.

Data\rhcg8pj0ev9j\Quarantine\BrowserObjects (Rogue.Multiple) -> Quarantined and deleted

successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Chelsea Appel\Application Data\rhcg8pj0ev9j\Quarantine\Packages

Files Infected:
C:\Program Files\rhcg8pj0ev9j\database.dat (Rogue.Multiple) -> Quarantined and deleted

successfully.
C:\Program Files\rhcg8pj0ev9j\license.txt (Rogue.Multiple) -> Quarantined and deleted

successfully.
C:\Program Files\rhcg8pj0ev9j\MFC71.dll (Rogue.Multiple) -> Quarantined and deleted

successfully.
C:\Program Files\rhcg8pj0ev9j\MFC71ENU.DLL (Rogue.Multiple) -> Quarantined and deleted

successfully.
C:\Program Files\rhcg8pj0ev9j\msvcp71.dll (Rogue.Multiple) -> Quarantined and deleted

successfully.
C:\Program Files\rhcg8pj0ev9j\msvcr71.dll (Rogue.Multiple) -> Quarantined and deleted

successfully.
C:\Program Files\rhcg8pj0ev9j\rhcg8pj0ev9j.exe.local (Rogue.Multiple) -> Quarantined and

deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\tdssinit.dll (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\tdssservers.dat (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Chelsea Appel\Local Settings\Temp\.tt1.tmp (Trojan.Downloader) ->

C:\Documents and Settings\Chelsea Appel\Local Settings\Temp\.tt2.tmp (Trojan.Downloader) ->

C:\Documents and Settings\Chelsea Appel\Local Settings\Temp\.tt3.tmp (Trojan.Downloader) ->

C:\Documents and Settings\Chelsea Appel\Local Settings\Temp\.tt4.tmp (Trojan.Downloader) ->

C:\Documents and Settings\Chelsea Appel\Local Settings\Temp\.tt5.tmp (Trojan.Downloader) ->

C:\Documents and Settings\Chelsea Appel\Local Settings\Temp\.tt6.tmp (Trojan.Downloader) ->

C:\Documents and Settings\Chelsea Appel\Local Settings\Temp\.tt7.tmp (Trojan.Downloader) ->

C:\Documents and Settings\Chelsea Appel\Local Settings\Temp\.tt8.tmp (Trojan.Downloader) ->

C:\WINDOWS\Fonts\acrsecB.fon (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\Fonts\acrsecI.fon (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Chelsea Appel\Local Settings\Temp\.ttD8.tmp.vbs (Trojan.FakeAlert)

-> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Chelsea Appel\Local Settings\Temp\.tt1.tmp.vbs (Trojan.FakeAlert)

C:\Documents and Settings\Chelsea Appel\Local Settings\Temp\.tt2.tmp.vbs (Trojan.FakeAlert)

C:\Documents and Settings\Chelsea Appel\Local Settings\Temp\.tt6.tmp.vbs (Trojan.FakeAlert)

C:\Documents and Settings\Chelsea Appel\Local Settings\Temp\TDSSb54e.tmp (Trojan.FakeAlert)

#4 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2008 - 10:45 PM

Hi featuring.birds,

We have a problem. tdssservers.dat (Trojan.Agent) is associated with a very nasty rootkit infection.

IMPORTANT NOTE: One or more of the identified infections was related to a rootkit component. Rootkits and backdoor Trojan are very dangerous because they use advanced techniques (backdoors) as a means of accessing a computer system that bypasses security mechanisms and steal sensitive information which they send back to the hacker. Many rootkits can hook into the Windows 32-bit kernel, and patch several APIs to hide new registry keys and files they install. Remote attackers use backdoor Trojans and rootkits as part of an exploit to gain unauthorized access to a computer and take control of it without your knowledge.

If your computer was used for online banking, has credit card information or other sensitive data on it, all passwords should be changed immediately to include those used for banking, email, eBay, paypal and online forums. You should consider them to be compromised. They should be changed by using a different computer and not the infected one. If not, an attacker may get the new passwords and transaction information. Banking and credit card institutions should be notified of the possible security breach. Because your computer was compromised please read How Do I Handle Possible Identify Theft, Internet Fraud and CC Fraud?

Although the rootkit was identified and removed, your PC has likely been compromised and there is no way to be sure the computer can ever be trusted again. It is dangerous and incorrect to assume that because the rootkit has been removed the computer is now secure. In some instances an infection may have caused so much damage to your system that it cannot be completely cleaned or repaired. The malware may leave so many remnants behind that security tools cannot find them. Many experts in the security community believe that once infected with this type of malware, the best course of action is to wipe the drive clean, reformat and reinstall the OS. Please read:

"When should I re-format? How should I reinstall?"
"Help: I Got Hacked. Now What Do I Do?"
"Where to draw the line? When to recommend a format and reinstall?"

Should you decide not to follow that advice, we will do our best to help clean the computer of any infections but we cannot guarantee it to be trustworthy or that the removal will be successful. Let me know how you wish to proceed.

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#5 featuring.birds

featuring.birds
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2008 - 06:38 PM

We have discussed re-formatting and re-installing. I have a few questions about the process that I wasn't able to answer by reading the FAQ.

How should I go about backing up music and other files? I have an external hard drive, can this become infected of I put the files on it?

If we aren't able to find the Windows XP discs, will we still be able to re-format and reinstall?

If the discs are XP SP1 will it still have the Windows firewall, or should I download and put setup files for another firewall on my external hard drive before re-formatting?

Thanks for all the help
featuring.birds

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2008 - 07:14 PM

Let me make a suggestion, while you are trying to find the disks, update Malwarebytes and run another scan

start a thread in the XP forum with a link to this one, giving details like make and model of your computer, what disks you have

Yes an infection could be saved on an external hard drive and reinfect your new load

You can turn on windows firewall with sp1 before connecting to the internet
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#7 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2008 - 07:57 PM

Yes an infection could be saved on an external hard drive and reinfect your new load

Yes... some people would say once you have a bad infection Everything goes! Other say, use high caution and scan everything along the way.

Chewy let's tag team this one...

featuring.birds, see if you can find another XP disk. If I am not mistaken, you can use another's cd as long as you have a Certificate of Authenticity / License. You are not changing the computer you are reloading and hence licensing. You may also request restore cds if your computer is from one of the major manufacturers. Call them up and ask... it may cost you a little, but then you have them.

Next, let's run SDFix
Please print out and follow these instructions: "How to use SDFix". <- This program is for Windows 2000/XP ONLY.
When using this tool, you must use the Administrator's account or an account with "Administrative rights"
  • Disconnect from the Internet and temporarily disable your anti-virus, script blocking and any real time protection programs before performing a scan.
  • When done, the SDFix report log will open in notepad and automatically be saved in the SDFix folder as Report.txt.
  • If SDFix is unable to run after rebooting from Safe Mode, run SDFix in either Mode, and type F, then press Enter for it to finish the final stage and produce the report.
  • Please copy and paste the contents of Report.txt in your next reply.
  • Be sure to renable you anti-virus and and other security programs before connecting to the Internet.
-- If the computer has been infected with the VirusAlert! malware warning from the clock and the Start Menu icons or drives are not visible, open the SDFix folder, right-click on either the XP_VirusAlert_Repair.inf or W2K VirusAlert_Repair.inf (depending on your version of Windows) and select Install from the Context menu. Then reboot to apply the changes.

Then, move you data. Pictures are not usually targets, but that doesn't mean they can't be infected. Music and documents could be carriers. The key is, after your reload, make sure you have computer armour on :thumbsup: Make sure Windows XP is updated to Service Pack 3 and is updated with all current Microsoft Updates. Have a working antivirus loaded - and updated. Have MalwareBytes and SuperAntispyware in you malware toolbox. (I would just make sure that SAS doesn't start at boot.) Have a firewall. I use Comodo, but there are many good free ones.

After you reconnect your external to your new install, check the files with all your tools from above.

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2008 - 08:11 PM

Yes at this point I would keep all my options open and prepare for a worse case scenario

SDFix would be one of those options

If I am not mistaken, you can use another's cd as long as you have a Certificate of Authenticity / License.

The cd has to match the number is the problem

Edited by DaChew, 29 September 2008 - 08:11 PM.

Chewy

#9 featuring.birds

featuring.birds
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2008 - 11:26 PM

She is searching for her reboot CD's, but you know how it goes after 5 years of moving around and such. The computer isn't really worth spending money on new Windows discs. If we can't find the discs I suppose we can continue with other options.

Is it possible that other areas of my External hard drive other than her files can be affected by the virus, possibly spreading the virus to other computers that I hook up to? I have a few hundred GB of files, music/video/pics, that I would not like to compromise.

I will now go through the instructions from DaChew and rigel. Thanks for the help!

#10 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2008 - 11:46 PM

Infected video and music is usually spread thru vulnerabilities in microsoft players

Some infections take regular mp3's and infect them all

I use a healthy computer and an immunization to prevent the spread of autorun.inf type infections

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry798468

A client's infection spread to 2 usb drives and 3 external drive and 4 computers including mine

Most dangerous are saved installers that were downloaded off P2P file sharing like limewire or torrents

I don't even trust scans of these files
Chewy

#11 featuring.birds

featuring.birds
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2008 - 02:16 PM

This is getting more interesting. I am on my computer at home now.

I downloaded SDFix, installed and printed directions, then shut down the computer to re-start in safe mode. The computer now runs through the normal windows loading screen, then stops loading and gives the message;

"AutoCHK program not found - Skipping autocheck"

then brings me to a blue screen with the message;

"STOP: c000021a{Fatal System Error}
The Sesseion Manager Initialization system process terminated unexpextedly with a status of
0xc000003a (0x00000000 0x00000000)
The system has been shut down."

I have tried booting in every mode possible, but none will get past this.

Edited by featuring.birds, 01 October 2008 - 02:17 PM.

#12 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2008 - 05:39 PM

It you aren't able to boot in any mode, we are going to need the XP cd. Have you had any luck finding it?

I am also going to check a few things.

#13 featuring.birds

featuring.birds
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2008 - 07:15 PM

No luck finding it so far. I should be able to load any XP CD's, shouldn't I? She isn't worried about having all the Dell stuff on the computer. I have access to a few currently unused copies of XP.

#14 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2008 - 07:39 PM

What we want to do is a repair install.

Perform a Repair Installation

But, we need your XP CD. You can use another's cd - of the same make - if it is retail cd. The main thing is you have to have a legal copy and license for your current copy.

#15 featuring.birds

featuring.birds
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2008 - 06:49 PM

The XP CD I will be using is a legal copy, license unused at this point. They were used at one point but are just sitting around. Retail copy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users