Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avg Email Scanner-not Active

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Shupy

Shupy

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 22 September 2008 - 10:55 PM

My AVG (Ver 8.0.169) email scanner recently went to "not active" and I can't work out how to make it active. I even uninstalled the program then reinstalled it but that didn't help. This happened once before and it seemed to right itself after a couple of days but this time it's been a week. Any suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 24 September 2008 - 02:35 PM

Is it fully updated?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Shupy

Shupy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2008 - 07:56 PM

I update daily. Virus DB is 270.0.2/1689.

#4 Shupy

Shupy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2008 - 07:58 PM

Sorry that should be 270.7.2/1689.

#5 Shupy

Shupy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2008 - 04:51 PM

I switched on my computer this morning and everything is ok. Email scanner is now active! Very strange. I didn't do anything. Last night when I switched off it was still showing "not active". Seems it has a mind of its own.

#6 MacBett

MacBett

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 03 October 2008 - 05:25 AM

I had this and fixed it by going to Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services, and then clicking Local Services, finding AVG Email in the list. It needs to be 'Started' and 'Automatic', and for some reason wasn't, so selecting it and hitting 'start service' put it right. I was in the same position though: fully updated, and not having touched anything to turn it off. There seem to have been a lot of people on various forums complaining about this; don't know if that makes it better or worse.

MB

#7 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 October 2008 - 05:49 AM

I had this and fixed it by going to Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services, and then clicking Local Services, finding AVG Email in the list. It needs to be 'Started' and 'Automatic', and for some reason wasn't, so selecting it and hitting 'start service' put it right. I was in the same position though: fully updated, and not having touched anything to turn it off. There seem to have been a lot of people on various forums complaining about this; don't know if that makes it better or worse.

MB

Try this? It works for everything on AVG Free 8

Double click on the Icon in the bottom Tray of Desktop, That shows the Six Components of AVG, if one is not active just right click on it and select Open, once it opens you can activate or change the Settings for any of each one of the Six under their Section.

#8 MacBett

MacBett

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2008 - 06:13 AM

It didn't work. You could do what you liked with the settings, and it would save the changes, but when you closed the section, the scanner still wasn't activated. I tried changing all the settings, saving, reopening, changing them back to what I wanted, with and without closing AVG in between and it made no difference. The scanner didn't re-activate until I turned it on again in Control Panel. From what I've read, Shupy's experience isn't unusual either - just leave it alone for a couple of days and it reactivates itself without you doing anything.

MB

#9 Shupy

Shupy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2008 - 07:17 AM

Agree with MB. Altering the settings doesn't change anything. Anyway my AVG8 Email scanner is still "Active". Although I now notice whereas before it would certify an incoming email "No virus found on this incoming message", it no longer does this even though the "Certify incoming email" boxes are ticked. By the way MB I went to CP, Administrative Tools, Services etc and the AVG Email setting was "Started" and "Automatic".

#10 MacBett

MacBett

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2008 - 07:34 AM

Well, I think that's what it ought to be, so if it turns off again, that's where to reset it. I have an idea that there's a check box as well for whether it displays that it's done the certification: mine is set to do the check, but I don't want to know every time and I think I turned it off. Sorry, but I don't remember where. I know I searched forums again to find out where to do it but I can't find it now. It might have been in Thunderbird (or whatever you use) rather than AVG?

MB

#11 Shupy

Shupy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2008 - 04:37 PM

Ok MB. Thanks for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users