Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error messages

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sjeanw

sjeanw

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 27 April 2005 - 05:40 PM

I'm suddenly getting two error messages:
1. when I restart my computer I get, ipdiag.dll file cannot start. Check file to determine problem. I can't even find the file.

2. your security is blocking activex and this page may not operate right (paraphrased). I checked the security settings in internet options and they are all set at medium, the suggested setting.

Can you tell me where to go from here? Would greatly appreciate help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PC WizKid

PC WizKid

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2005 - 04:24 AM

The ipdiag.dll file must be corrupted and could require a windows reinstall. I am not sure about the second one.
I love Windows Vista Ultimate

Windows 7 RC no more :cry:

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 28 April 2005 - 05:10 AM

Hi sjeanw,
If you can tell us a little more about your system that would be helpful.
OS, CPU, RAM, Hard drive size, what anti-virus, are you running anti-spyware?
What browser do you use? What kind of internet connection do you have?
You get the ipdiag.dll error when you boot, when do you get the second error message?

ipdiag is certainly not a standard startup program, it may indicate the presence of spyware. Here are some standard security checks you can do:

Is your Anti-virus program current and updated? If not you can download a free anti-virus program here (US Link): AVG Free
When you have downloaded and installed it you need to go online to register it and update it. (It will probably prompt you to do this.)
Once you have installed AVG uninstall your old Anti-Virus software.

Do you have any anti-spyware installed? If not download and update all of the following:Reboot your computer in Safe Mode and run the anti-virus scan and anti-spyware scans there.
If you are not sure how to boot in Safe Mode there is a tutorial here: Safe Mode

I do not recommend re-installing windows except as a last resort. There are many experienced members of BC who may be able to help you resolve the problem if you are patient.

Let us know what you find. :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 sjeanw

sjeanw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2005 - 10:06 PM

I apolozie for handing you problems with nothing to go on. My desktop and I are getting on in age and slowing down, but we're still running. I don't know what os is, but here are all of our statistics:

PC: Dell 4100
Pentium III
Hard drive: 20 gb with 13 free, according to the computer
Ram: 128, but able to get 60 plus by closing hidden programs
Browser: explorer 6.0
Anti-virus: Norton plus firewall and upgraded today.
Spyware: aol - a recent addition
Server is aol for years. However, this pc came loaded with msn, which I uninstalled, and we took on bellsouth.net because we could get it for 4.95 a month. This one is trying to crowd aol out. Have to do something about that. Also, I tried upgrading from aol 7.0 to 9.0. Worked fine for a month or two, then we started having problems. I'm now back to 7.0 which suits our pc and us.

The first message pops up every time I reboot, which is a couple of times a day.

The second comes online when I'm trying to access a web site. In fact, it popped up when I was trying to connect with you. It blocks some sites I've been to before, and not others.

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2005 - 10:58 PM

Sorry, no ideas yet. Can't find any info on ipdiag.dll.
OS = Operating System = Windows whatever.
If you right click on 'My Computer' and select Properties it will open the System Properties window and your Windows version is shown there.

What Norton Anti-Virus product is it? e.g. N.A.V. 2003 and is the firewall part of it?

I've never heard of aol spyware (I hope it anti-spyware! :thumbsup: ) and would suggest you download and run the programs I listed before.

Have you done a Windows Update recently? If not you should go online and do one, and be prepared for it to take a while. You will have to run Internet Explorer to do this, just connect to AOL, minimise their screen and then click Start>Windows Update (or Start>All Programs>Windows Update or wherever it is on your system) It should open an Internet explorer window automatically.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#6 sjeanw

sjeanw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2005 - 10:04 PM

At the rate I'm going, this could be a long haul. If you're willing to hang with me, I'm Jeannette.

I've had a lot of chances to upgrade Windows (by the way I'm running ME), but couldn't be bothered. Tonight I'm going to do that. Tomorrow I'll downloand your ANTI-spyware and uninstall the program aol stuck on me. All I can find on Norton is version 2002, but I resubscribed two months ago so trust I have the latest version. Will be back, trying your patience again, sometime tomorrow.

Thanks.

#7 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2005 - 10:23 PM

No worries Jeanette, I'm looking forward to your results. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users