Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Constantly Reboots After Windows Splash Screen.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Friar Tuck

Friar Tuck

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 22 September 2008 - 07:43 PM

Is there a DOS or command line Antivirus scanner that can be used on a PC that won't boot in Normal or Safe mode, VGA mode, or last known good configuration? The PC is a Dell laptop that belongs to a friend. He does not have any recovery CD's. It has XP Home installed and continually reboots after the Windows Splash Screen. I found evidence of several malware infections by booting the BARTPE CD that I made and looking at the files on the hard drive. I installed the Recovery Console and tried the basic recovery commands, but they did not help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 22 September 2008 - 07:59 PM

The Ultimate Boot CD has some anti-virus tools - but I'm not sure about updating the definitions.

See if this will get the computer to boot. Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD drive, and then restart the computer. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

Type: chkdsk /r

It's important to have a space before the "/".

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

I'm not sure, but DrWebCureIt might run from the BartPE CD.

Edited by Budapest, 22 September 2008 - 08:01 PM.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 22 September 2008 - 08:01 PM

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/pluginhelp/mcafee.htm
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 Friar Tuck

Friar Tuck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 22 September 2008 - 08:43 PM

Thanks Budapest and DaChew. I have already done the "chkdsk /r" thing. I have installed the Recovery Console on the hard drive. I don't have the Windows XP CD. I will absorb these links and get back to you.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 24 September 2008 - 12:35 PM

You can try using BugHunter. This is a DOS based malware scanner that can detect and remove common malware. It is designed as a tool of last resort, to be used if your computer is so badly infected with spyware that you are unable to access your desktop or install a full featured malware removal tool...Instructions can be found in the BugHunt.txt readme file.

Edited by quietman7, 24 September 2008 - 12:35 PM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users